Any Deals on an Onkyo TX-DS989 Ver2?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Dennis Gonzales, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Dennis Gonzales

Hello All,

I would like to know if anybody knows of any current, upcoming, or still effective deals on an Onkyo TX-DS989 Ver2? I am really interested in purchasing this HT reciever.
    Must be from a reputable dealer, brand new and please no refurbs or "Gray Market" items. Talk to you all soon!

Dennis

2. Steve Crowley

Steve Crowley Stunt Coordinator

I would check out Fry's. They usually buy overstocked items and have decent prices. I think they had that rcvr. for 1599. which is pretty good as it was 2500 brand new. Cheers

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Hee, hee. A buddy of mine got one at Frys a few weeks ago. For ... $999. I really couldn't believe that Frys didn't know how much it was worth.

4. Dennis Gonzales

Frys? $999 bucks???? Wow!! Does Frys do email/phone orders? Do they have a website? I live in B.C., Canada but I have a brother that lives in Milpitas, CA. Does anybody know of a Frys or other reputable dealers in that part of Cali, where I can get a decent deal on the Onkyo TX-DS989 Ver2?
    Guys, I appreciate all the suggestions! Please keep them coming...

Many Thanks,

Dennis

5. Jon_Gregory

Jon_Gregory Stunt Coordinator

6. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

There are 5 Fry's within 15-25 miles of Milpitas. Fry's got their start in the Silicon Valley. Don't know if the receiver you want is in stock though. Hasn't the 989 been around since 2001?

FREMONT
    43800 Osgood Road
    (510) 252-5300
    FAX (510) 252-5318

PALO ALTO
    340 Portage Avenue
    (650) 496-6000
    FAX (650) 496-6018

SAN JOSE
    550 E. Brokaw Road
    (408) 487-1000
    FAX (408) 487-1018

SUNNYVALE
    1077 East Arques Avenue
    (408) 617-1300
    FAX (408) 617-1318

CAMPBELL
    600 E. Hamilton Avenue
    (408) 364-3700
    FAX (408) 364-3718

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

This was at the Brokaw store. Floor model, and they only had one. It was funny, because the sales dude tried to get my friend to jump to a new 801 (?), but we both knew what we had... [​IMG]

8. Dennis Gonzales

Hi Greg!
    Thanks for the Frys Northern Cali locations, I appreciate it! Yes the 989 has been out since 2001 but the upgraded version 2 was released last year...Now I'm going to get my brother to scout around for me!..[​IMG]
    To Kevin,
    Your friend was very lucky to find that 989 for $999! Damn! Was it the version 2? or 1? How does it sound?
    Here in Canada asking price is about $4000!....
    The sales guy was probably pointing your friend toward the 801 because he was probably ready to take it home that day! Hehehe! [​IMG]

Dennis

9. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

That's a good question. How do you tell if it's ver 1 or 2?

10. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

Check the bottom right corner. On the Onkyo web site you can clearly see the version 2 there. Also on ver2 in the left corner you'll see Dolby Digital EX and DTS-ES logos.

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=i
    Click on the photo gallery and you'll see it.

Good picture of ver1 here http://www.homecinemachoice.com/test...yoTX-DS989.jpg

Also looks like the original 989 has "Onkyo Integra" in the upper left corner. Ver2 only has "Onkyo"

Is the original model just as upgradeable as version 2?

11. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I'll check with my bud and let y'all know...

12. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

The best way to tell the difference among the models is by the "THX Ultra" versus "THX Ultra 2" designations.

"Onkyo" and "Integra" are actually two different divisions of Onkyo. The Onkyo version is the 989. The Integra version is the DTR-9.1. The relation of Integra to Onkyo is like the Lexus to Toyota relationship-- Integra is the higher-end brother of Onkyo. (There's also the hiest-end Integra Research, which offers a similar unit, but no onboard amplication. The amp is sold separately, but let's disregard Integra Research for this post.)

There have been two upgrades on the 989/9.1.

The first added DTS-ES as well as DPLII. This upgrade has no official name.

The second upgrade mostly comprised on the THX Ultra 2 classification. This is the "u2" or "v2" model.

The earlier units are just as upgradeable as the u2 model. Expect to pay $500 to upgrade from the earliest model to the latest upgraded model.

Assuming you purchase a model with no upgrades, the first DTS-ES and DPLII upgrade will cost you $50. You will receive a cd and serial cable in the mail and you can perform the upgrade yourself.

The second upgrade is $500 - $50 for purchasing the first upgrade. So you pay around $450 for this option. You will have to mail off your receiver to a factory service center. You should receive it back within 2 or 3 weeks.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
    ~~Nathan

13. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

He says it is a version 2.

14. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

So Nathan, do all ver2 models already have Ultra2 plus DTS 96/24? If so, have there been any upgrades for this one? Basically what I'm saying is if I find a 989ver2, would I need to do any upgrades?

And will there be one for PLx when available?

I always knew the Integra was the higher line from Onkyo, it was just weird seeing a receiver with both Onkyo and Integra on the nameplate.

So theoretically there are 4 models? The Onkyo TX-DS 989ver2, Integra 9.1 and 9.1u2 and the original called Onkyo Integra 989?

15. Dennis Gonzales

""Onkyo" and "Integra" are actually two different divisions of Onkyo. "

That is true today, but back in the early 90's and until around 2000 they were the same company. The "Onkyo" models were just base models and were often built flimsy and made somewhere other than Japan. The company's "Onkyo Integra" line were the top-of-the-line models. They were great performing, made in Japan and were all built like tanks!
    The "Onkyo Integra" 989 was the last model produced before Onkyo and Integra Research became two separate divisions.

Dennis

16. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

Greg,

If it's a ver2, it has all the available upgrades. No need to spend any more cash...for now. [​IMG] I have no idea if DPLIIx is coming to the unit. O/I/IR says there will be a firewire upgrade in the near future, but I haven't heard anything more.

I guess you could say there are actually four different models. However, you most likely will not find a new-in-box unit that has not already been upgraded to the ver2 status at the factory.

The image of the "Onkyo Integra 989" is the first I've ever seen. When I was in the market in early 2000, they had already "split" (so to speak) into Onkyo and Integra. Then along came Integra Research. I'm curious if this is possibly a pre-production unit. Several of the stickers/labels are different.