Any Dead Like Me DVD rumours ?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Sven Lorenz, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Sven Lorenz

Sven Lorenz Supporting Actor

Does anybody have any news/rumours about a boxset of the first season of 'Dead Like Me' ?

This was probably the best new show this year and since it was on Showtime there's no need to wait for it to air in syndication.

The show has been a very big success, both critically and regarding it's ratings, so it would probably sell very good.

I hope they don't wait until the next season starts (Summer 2004) before they release a boxset.

2. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

I absolutely love this show, however, I don't think it has much re-watch value. Well hopefully they'll release it on DVD soon for the major fans, but I won't be buying it, since there are plenty of other shows that do have re-watch value.

3. Sven Lorenz

Why does the show have no re-watch value to you?

I'm just wondering because to me shows like 24, Alias or CSI (where the main point is the suspense to find out what happens next or who did it) have absolutely zero re-watch value while Dead Like Me is a far more character driven show that manages the balance between single episodes and ongoing storylines (like Deep Space Nine, Buffy Seasons 1-3 or Smallville).

4. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

I'm not quite sure. I admit that I love the show, but I just don't see myself watching it ever again. I agree that 24 has little to no re-watch value, and I STILL buy it, but have never watched it more than once. As much as I loved it, I just can't bring myself to watch it again, since I know everything that's going to happen. I saw it once on DVD and once on TV, and that's more than enough for me. However, I'm not going to sell them, because maybe in about 5 years or so, I could watch it again.

Buffy? I collect Buffy as well. I suppose that it has more of a re-watch value than 24 does. Why? Because she kicks serious ass! It's just FUN to watch it. I know exactly whats going to happen in each and every single episode, but just watching her do those incredible moves, kicking ass....it's just FUN!

I collect Angel as well, but I feel that it has far less re-watch value than all the above mentioned shows. It was hard enough watching those two first seasons. I'm pretty sure I won't be re-watching any of them for at least another 10 years or so.

Now a show with a great re-watch value would be "Six Feet Under." It's such an amazing show, I could watch it again and again. I've already seen it 5 times all the way through (Season 1). I can't wait to get the other seasons on DVD.

5. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

We definitely want to get Dead Like Me on DVD. It was one of our bright spots on the "new" TV landscape this year.

I was thrilled to find out it's getting a second season. Hopefully Showtime won't shaft it next year.

6. Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols Supporting Actor

Huh, I really want to see this show (checked out a couple of episodes on the newsgroups). I is just becoming available in Canada, but I would have to subscribe to an other digital cable channel, something I will not do just for one show, so a DVD release would be nice...

7. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

HBO and SHOWTIME generally use the DVD releases of their shows as ads for the new seasons. I'd expect the first season to come out around the time season 2 begins airing. If not then...probably season 3.

8. Joshua Lane

Joshua Lane Second Unit

As someone who doesn't have Showtime, DVD's are the only way for me to check out their shows. And from the reviews I've read, I'd buy a Dead Like Me season set. HBO shouldn't have all the fun when it comes to these types of releases.

9. Jim Beaver

Jim Beaver Supporting Actor

I can't wait for Dead Like Me to come on DVD I love this show it ROCKS!!

This year has had so many shows that have become favourites it's been incredible. I honestly have never taped 8 diffrent shows before.

10. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Both Showtime and HBO are a little "Off" when it comes to their DVD releases for current programs.

HBO releases a season prior to the 2nd season that follows it. Sopranos S2 came out right before Sopranos S4 began airing, and such.

Showtime releases a season (QAF and Jeremiah as the only examples) some episodes into the season that follows it.

Now if they are going to get them out this early, why not get them out early enough that new adopters might switch over to the network to view them? Each set I've bought has a rebate coupon for it's respective network's subscription, so they seem to think this will work.

11. Sven Lorenz

Maybe we should start writing them to make sure they release it in widescreen.
    Jeremiah aired in widescreen on Showtime yet the DVDs are fullscreen.
    I've seen the first season of DLM in widescreen and it is clearly framed ONLY for widescreen. I had to watch one episode in fullscreen and it looked really cropped - there was one scene were someone was talking to a nose on the left border of the frame for several minutes.

12. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I agree that DLM should be in widescreen, as should Jeremiah. Jeremiah is a production of MGM, though with Stargate SG-1, they should know better.

DLM is also an MGM production (with Showtime). Perhaps some preventative action is in order.

It doesn't make sense for either MGM or Showtime to be encouraging a MAR release. MGM is doing fine by Stargate, and Showtime is doing fine by Queer as Folk.

13. Sven Lorenz

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/ says it will come on May 4th, 2004. [​IMG]

Now all I need is the confirmation that it will be in widescreen and have some decent extras - since the next season starts in the summer it should be no problem to get some of the actors to do some commentaries while shooting season 2.

14. Jim Beaver

Jim Beaver Supporting Actor

I'm so excited about this. It really made my night last night finding out about that. I Can't Wait dfor 2004. It's really gunna be an amazing year for tv shows on dvd.

15. Sven Lorenz

On the best Dead Like Me website http://www.deadlikemeonline.net/ someone posted on the messageboard that the boxset will be released in March and not May - and that they'll start shooting the second season in January.
    I hope that this is good news for the boxset - if the actors are shooting season two then there's no problem in getting them together for a commentary or some interviews.

16. Will_B

Will_B Producer

17. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Tomorrow. [​IMG]

Dead Like Me: Life After Death (2009) (V)