What's new

any david sedaris fans? (1 Viewer)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i first heard of him as the brother of amy sedaris from strangers with candy. his stories are quite funny, but i think he brings them to life when he reads them. i picked up 'live at carnegie hall', and enjoyed it very much. i just bought the ds box set, which is 14 CDs of audiobooks, 14+ hours. just finished putting them on my ipod, i've only heard a little of one of the tracks, it was pretty good so far. so, any htf sedaris fans?

CJ

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
I've read Me Talk Pretty One Day and Holidays on Ice, which are pretty funny. I look forward to reading his other books.

RafaelB

Second Unit
Color me a Sedaris groupie. I've read all his books and saw him live a couple times. I find his humour to be very original, sardonic, and heartfelt at the same time.

Have you read any Augusten Burroughs (Running With Scissors, Dry, Magical Thinking)? I find him almost as good as Sedaris.

Rafael.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Holidays On Ice (3 hours on 3 CDs)and Live at Carnegie Hall are in my collection.
If nothing else, you have to hear David's Santaland Diaries.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
to be honest, i've never read any of his material, only heard him perform it. live at carnegie hall is really funny, and his box set includes naked, barrel fever and other stories, me talk pretty one day, and holidays on ice, which includes santaland diaries. his inflection and timing makes his stories very entertaining to hear. i'll have to check out augusten borroughs, thanks for the suggestion.

CJ

RafaelB

Second Unit
Listening to him live as he tells his stories is definitely good, but once you've heard him, the next time you read his books/stories you'll be hearing his inflections and tone (I know I did).

I love the Carnegie Hall CD. I've been toying with getting the box set as well. :)

Rafael.

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
Running with Scissors is a good book, though it doesn't quite have the humorous/sardonic take on real life as Sedaris' work. It's funny, but not really laugh-out-loud funny. It's more of a "I can't believe this guy's life was so f-ed up" kind of funny.

I don't think I've ever heard David Sedaris speak, but for some reason I imagine he sounds like Ira Glass.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
you should check out some of is samples on amazon. i also got my gf hooked on sedaris tonight. and i think my post is #240,000 in after hours. :)

CJ

Anthony_J

Stunt Coordinator
The thing I love about David Sedaris' work is that he manages to write autobiographical material without sounding self-important. It's something that few others (save for Nick Hornby in "Fever Pitch") can do.

As much as I like Augusten Burroughs, I tend to get that "I've done this, isn't it great?" vibe from some of his writing.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

I first heard it on NPR many years ago and had to slow down my car because I was laughing so hard. I had to sit in the driveway at my destination until it was over.

"Me Talk Pretty Someday" was a real joy. I read it while in Paris so the Paris chapters were a real delight.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i finished 'barrel fever and other stories' last night, made my way to 'holidays on ice' which includes santaland diaries, very good so far!

CJ

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
thought i would revive this thread from the sort-of-dead. i met david sedaris tonight, he had a book signing at the harvard bookstore in cambridge tonight. he did a reading for about 30 minutes, a very funny story involving a profane cab driver and beastiality magazines. we waited in line for about 3 hours, i bought a few of his books and he signed them, using a different "message" in each one, which i thought was pretty creative. one of them said "CJ, stay asian". i found this funny, since i'm about as asian as i am black. which is, not even close to either. another book said "Dear CJ, thank you for making me rich". this was also pretty funny, since the aforementioned cab driver in his story commented on how he must be very rich because he was wearing some ratty old sport coat, but the cab driver was new to the country and thought sedaris was very rich.

personally, he was a really cool guy, even though he probably signed 500 books before mine, he seemed to really enjoy talking to all of us, and spoke with us for a minute or so. i was glad to find out that he was at least a nice guy; i was a fan before i met him, and i'm glad someone i like isn't some stuck up jerk. the boston appearance was his first on the book signing/reading tour, here is where he will be next. if you are a fan, i highly suggest you go see him. i'm glad i did.

CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks