1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Any DAT owners out there?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris-C, Jul 31, 2001.

1. Chris-C

Chris-C Stunt Coordinator

Hi Gang;
    Here's my problem: I've had a basic Sony DAT for many years now.
    A few years ago a supplier that I buy blank tapes from suggested I use computer grade blanks as they will play for 3 hours instead of the normal 2 hour 120 DAT blanks.
    Anyway i've been using the 4mm data blanks for quite awhile now,and I think I have to throw them all away!
    I guess the thinner tape is causing a conflict with the recorder.
    Anybody here ever try data tapes instead of normal DAT blanks???????
    Regards
    CC Rider
    ------------------

2. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

Whatever you do, for godsakes, don't use any tape longer than 120 minutes. Even the 120 minute tapes are frowned upon in studios worldwide due to the tape thinness.
    My one and only 3-hour tape is now garbage, many of my 2-hour tapes are dying, but none of the 90-min (and shorter) tape have ever failed on me before (touch wood).
    I usually buy Maxell and HHB brands.
    As far as computer-tape vs audio-tape, I don't know the difference and never have the thought of using computer DAT for audio usage.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Also remember that computer tapes are specified by meters, and not minutes. A 60 m tape = 120 min. Should never ever use longer than that.
    Computer 4mm DDS DAT tapes are cheaper for 1 (no royalties to greedy music publishing companies), and I have read that they actually are certified to a higher standard than audio DAT tapes.
    Maybe the FAQ on www.solorb.com/dat-heads/
    Or, here it is on the www.tape.com site:
    http://www.tape.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart...4783+996645763
    Here's a quick quote, but there's more info on the link:
    "The tape used for 60 meter (120 minute) computer grade DDS tapes and audio tape is basically the same (90 meter being thinner). Computer grade tape is taken from the center of the roll (before slitting), and must meet strict ANSI standards. The tape has a much lower BER (Bit Error Rate) than most DAT tape and is significantly more reliable. Unlike audio DAT tape, DDS tape is certified "error free".
    DDS may be used in place of audio DAT tape and is preferred by most people."
    ------------------

4. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

Thanks Kevin for the info, next time I'll try the computer DAT.

5. Chris-C

Chris-C Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Guys
    I'll have to put it in "Lessons learned the hard way".
    Apparently any tape over 120 minutes binds or flexes a way that the consumer DAT players have trouble with.
    CC
    ------------------