Any Danger running sats full range??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_Ol, Nov 21, 2001.

1. Mike_Ol

Mike_Ol Auditioning

Hi there,

I've got a set of Mirage AVS200 (same as Energy take 5) satellites and matching sub. They are going to be connected to a reciever that only has 50hz as a crossover option. The sats are only rated to 90hz - is there any danger running these as "large" to avoid the hole in the frequency range?

PS. They will be used at low/moderate volumes only

Thanks,

Mike

2. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

Running them as large isn't going really solve the "hole in the frequency range" problem. With them set to large, they still aren't going to respond well below 90 Hz. In fact, I never trust a manufacturer's lowest ratings. They might go that low - but how WELL they do that low is another question.

Is there a variable crossover control on the sub? Are there speaker level inputs? You could run the speaker outputs from the receiver to the sub, then run the sats from the sub. You could tailor the sub's crossover much better this way (assuming it has enough range).

----

Jeff

3. Mike_Ol

Mike_Ol Auditioning

Jeff,

The sub (same as Energy ES8) has a variable crossover and speaker level inputs, but no speaker level outputs(unfortunately).

So I can adjust the sub to cover the range the sats can't deal with, but I'm still stuck sending a full range signal to them. I don't think this is really a problem, but I don't want to damage the sats.

Mike