ANy current new on Xbox 360 backwards compatability?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Dean L, Jul 24, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Dean L

Dean L Stunt Coordinator

Last I heard the 360 will play "all popular" Xbox games.
    So does this mean the 360 may not play a not so huge seller (but a terrific game!) such as Panzar Dragon Orta for example?

Edit, sorry can't figure out how to edit the topic, should read "Any current news..."

2. John*D

John*D Second Unit

Apparently, there is going to be some sort of thing where you download the emulated game off XBL or something that lets you play using you're original disc. They really haven't gone specific regarding this stuff.

I'm just interested in playing Halo 2 on the 360, which it will.

3. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

More of the latest games is what I think they're targeting. Frankly I don't understand how only some could be compatible.

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

PS2 had backward compatibility because part of the PS1 chipset was used as the foundation for the PS2. It was easy to implement.

The X-Box 360 uses brand-new hardware, so to run older games they need to emulate them. Because everything down to the motherboard is different, the code would have to be recompiled in a different way to work with the new hardware. From what I've read Microsoft is making downloadable programs (sort of like patches) that allow some older games to be played on the new hardware by, more or less, translating the data for the newer hardware. The 360 is powerful, but not powerful enough to emulate a game on software alone, so these added things are needed.

Microsoft is also trying to make newer games compatible with the 360 by aiding developers in how the games are coded, IIRC.

5. Dean L

Dean L Stunt Coordinator

well beings i do not have a broadband connection (just old fashioned dial up=no xbl access)looks like i will need to hold on to my origanal xbox for certain older/obscure games.
    thanks for the replies.

6. PeterMano

PeterMano Stunt Coordinator

MS has not stated how b/c will be achieved and anybody telling you that they're read so and so are merely confusing the situation by repeating what is essentially speculation.

So, instead of idle speculation, lets see what MS execs have actually said on b/c. From an engadget interview on may 18, 2005

Engadget: Regarding backwards compatibility, it seems like that’s going to be on a kind of a selective basis from what we gather—is that correct?

Ballmer: We are working very hard to get compatibility. Of course the prioritization in our technical work is in the leading selling games from the first generation, just like the PS2 didn’t run all PS1 games, it is unlikely we’ll ever be able to say the 360 will run all Xbox 1 games. I think there are some games if we get them to run that means many, many other games will run, and I think rather than give some statement that is either too conservative (because the engineers can do better), or a bold statement we can’t live up to, we thought we’d make our strategy clear that as we get further down the road and as our engineers do more work, the execution will speak for itself.

Engadget: And there’s also the possibility of patching over Live to allow for more games down the road—is that something that’s being looked at?

Robbie Bach, Chief Xbox Officer: Sure, there’s a number of different ways you can distribute the capability. The thing you have to recognize is we got to a point at E3 that we said look, there’s so much speculation about this even though the work is ongoing, we should just deal with it and get people focused on the right thing rather than on the wrong thing. We wanted people knowing we’re doing the work, but you don’t want to say we’re going to do every single game, because we don’t know that to be a fact today.

Ballmer: We’ve actually dealt with this issue more than any other company in the world (with every Windows release). The truth of the matter is we run a high percentage of apps, and every Windows release we hear about the apps that don’t run. But because there are fewer console releases than there are Windows releases, it’s even more of a front and center question. But I think we have a pretty good sense of how to do this. Live gives us another asset to go after this, of course—we have a strong Live base, but it’s still only a few million people at this stage, it’s not all of our installed base, so we can’t count on it as the only mechanism to try to get the strongest backward compatibility possible.

Engadget: Will backwards compatibility be determined on sales if you proceed with the plan as you have? Will it just be the best-selling platinum hits?

Ballmer: I’d say it a little differently. I’d say what we will do is pick a set of titles and do all the technical work to get those to work. The truth is when you do some of those titles, you do get dozens to hundreds of other titles because you take any game that pushes the system and exercises it. If you can make backward compatibility happen for it, you’d handle any game that has a subset of what it does. So it’s wrong to say it’s about individual games, it’s right to say we’re going to prioritize the general purpose technologies based upon that which is in that league of games.

Bach: The other thing you can say is you can assume Halo and Halo 2 are fairly close to the top of the list… [laughter] for both the reasons Steve states. Because they’re top selling games and they’re some of the most technically complicated games…

Ballmer: ...so if you get those two, you’ll get a lot of other stuff.

And unfortunately, there's been no further updating or clarification on the issue, other than it continues to be an ongoing process. I have tuned in www.majornelson.com, which is a website/blogcast run by an MS employee who works on the LIVE end of things, and he stated that's he's played halo 2 on an alpha or beta 360, I forget which.