Any CT-32HX41 owners here?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff, Oct 23, 2001.

1. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

My dad is nearing the purchase of the 32HX41 and I'm wondering what owners of this set think.
    Thanks,
    Jeff

2. Dave_N

Dave_N Extra

Jeff,
    My initial set had a problem in component video mode (which I only use for HDTV since I do not have a DVD yet) where the picture would shrink vertically by about 10% for a fraction of a second and then restore to normal size. This would happen every couple of minutes, making it very disconcerting to watch. That set had a production date of May 2001.
    My replacement set (production date September 2001) does not exhibit this behavior. But it does suffer from a slight geometry problem (lower left screen off by about 1/4")which the original set did not have. This is fairly common in all large flat-screen direct view TVs.
    Otherwise, I am happy with the set especially for what I paid for it: around $1300 via a price match at Sears.
    Suggestions:
    1. Do not accept a box that looks like it has been previously opened or has any sign of damage. A lot of guys on this site make no bones about going through 2, 3, or more sets before they find the one that they like. Sorry, but I am fussy too and I do not want a set that has been previously "played with". In fact, my first set powered-up in the service menu!!! Doesn't take much thought to figure out how it got that way.
    2. Do not accept a set that does not have a recent manufacture date.
    If I had to do it all over again, I would probably get the CT32SX31 (no HDTV). I would have saved several hundreds of dollars. HDTV on a 32 inch set is not worth it. In 16:9 mode you are only using about 60% of the screen area. Besides, I only get one stinking channel (HBO) through TimeWarner cable (no HDTV OTA in my area).
    Good luck,
    Dave

3. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

4. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

Does the 32HX41 have a manual 16x9 enhance mode? I've heard the 32HX40 had problems detecting some anamorphic DVD's and it had no manual way of turning it on. Has this been fixed with the 32HX41?
    Thanks,
    Jeff

5. Matt Taylor

Matt Taylor Stunt Coordinator

Jeff,
    I have the 32HX40 and it has never had any problem detecting an anamorphic DVD. I've probably only watched 3 or 4 on that TV though. My HDTV picture also sometimes changes size for a split second before returning back to normal.
    Matt