Any cowboy movies on the horizon?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnE, Jul 28, 2002.

1. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

Some how over the last week I ended up seeing Pale Rider and Tombstone again, and it really put me in a mood to watch wild west kind of movies. I had forgotten how good both of those movies were. Westerns aren't really my thing, but after watching and really enjoying those two movies it got me to wondering if there are any cowboy movies in the works? Thanks

2. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Well, there is ONE that I can think of...though it doesn't sound real promising...
    It was originally called Ring of Fire for its theatrical release, but has since been changed to Cowboy Up. And that theatrical release? Never happened.
    The cast includes Kiefer Sutherland, Molly Ringwald, Pete Postelthwaite, Daryl Hannah, Bo Hopkins and Melinda Dillon. Directed by Xavier Koller (Squanto: A Warrior's Tale), written by first-time screenwriter James (yes, son of Robert) Redford.
    Cowboy Up will be released on DVD by Columbia/Tri-Star on 9/3/02.

3. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

4. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

It seems like the western genre pretty much died after Unforgiven and Tombstone. Hell of a shame, cause it's one of my favorite genres. Oh well, time that would've been spent in the theatre can now be spent catching up with the classics, such as True Grit and The Searchers, arriving here soon thanks to Netflix.[​IMG]

5. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

Thanks for the info and link Scott. Dosen't sound like there's a whole lot in the works for westerns. Oh well, like I said it's not really my favorite genre, but when I'm in the mood....[​IMG]

6. Jim Robbins

Jim Robbins Stunt Coordinator

As long as we have Ted Turner at least we'll have a small scale western ever now and then.

7. David Rogers

David Rogers Supporting Actor

Ugh Ted. [​IMG]
    Last new Western I saw was American Outlaws, which I enjoyed quite a bit even though it was very action and not nearly so 'samurai' as most good Westerns are (like Tombstone and Unforgiven, particularly Unforgiven). AO did bring Collin Farrel to my attention, and he truly was the highlight of that film I thought. Talented actor, really enjoyed his turn in Minority Report also.
    Since they don't do samurai movies in Hollywood (too bad, I'd really love to see Hollywood production values, with a good director/script, on a big epic samurai flick), Westerns are the next best thing IMO. They seem to have trailed off from doing them though.