What's new

Any Cowboy Junkie's recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
We're watching Beautiful Noise on RAVE and they have the Cowboy Junkie's on. Never heard anything except for the radio play but they sound fantastic on the show.

Her voice sounds WAY younger than she actually is too.

Like the more acoustic side and her voice is phenomenal.

MichaelGH

Stunt Coordinator

I've just been getting into the Cowboy Junkies lately. I haven't made it through their whole catalog yet, but I really enjoyed "Pale Sun, Crescent Moon (my fave), The Trinity Sessions, Miles From Our Home, and Black-Eyed Man" I don't recall ever hearing any songs from Pale Sun, Crescent Moon on the radio but The Trinity Sessions has "Sweet Jane" and Miles from our home has the title song that I remember from the radio (didn't know it was CJ at the time). Hope that helps.

Michael

kamyiu

Stunt Coordinator
gotta go with trinity session, a perfect late night album. their catalog is pretty solid, but trinity stands above the others for me.

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt
Lay it down is a pretty good album, it had some radio play from the song "Common Disaster."

I have Whites Off Earth Now, their first album, in my CD rotation right now. It's really spare and elegant. I can't wait for the SACD (supposedly due in March).

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
Thanks for the replies, we'll be making a trip to the store tongiht.

You also answered my second question, partly at least. Besides the SACD due in March are there any other hires stuff from them?

After watching them on Beautiful Noise her voice would for sure be helped by the better range of any hires format.

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt
Looking at Music Direct's website, it has Open on SACD. It's also showing a February release date for Whites Off Earth Now, so my March date was apparently incorrect.

Edit: Now if we could just get some Neko Case on SACD! :D

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
Went to the store tonight and to my amazement nobody had anything!

Went to the pot...errr music store in town and they had a used copy of Miles From Our Home that I picked up. Also went to Borders, BB, and CC, not a single copy of anything.

I bought Miles From Our Home for $5.00 used, along with 3 other CD's. All in excellent condition.

I enjoy the music but the engineering is absolutely horrible. After hearing it on Rave it was so crystal clear and her voice stood out so well from the background. Great imaging and all that.

This sounds so muffled and just a poorly done CD. When the copy of Sisters of Mercy Greatest Hits sounds better and has more definition something is wrong.

I ordered Open on SACD...for $25 I hope its a lot better quality.

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt
Interesting. I stopped by Borders today, and they had a number of titles, including one that had a DVD attached (don't remember the title). They had a number of "greatest hits" type CD's too. Unfortunately, if you want the best of the Cowboy Junkies these days, you're probably going to have to go online.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks