Any Coppers on the board?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DeathStar1, Jun 25, 2006.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Question for the law enforcement folk...

I know it's illegal to have a red scanner light in the front of your car(Why, I dunno)....but I've heard it's OK for other colors.

Reason why I'm asking is because I found a company in the UK that makes complete KITT(Knight Rider) car scanners that fit into any model car made today. I was thinking about installing one for the coolness, nostalgia, and potential chick attracting factor [​IMG]...but don't want to see a cop on the other side of the road notice it, turn around and pull me over [​IMG].

Is there anyway I can check to see if it's legal in NJ?

Later!
    Neil

2. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

I'm not a cop but the reason why a red light is illegal is it could be used to impersonate a policeman. I would think it would only apply for roof or dash mounting. I don't think anyone would be fooled by the back and forth motion of the Kitt scanner, so you'll probably be ok, as for attracting chicks, I doubt it very seriuosly, thats all i'll say about that.

3. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Heh, yeah, I know. That was mainly a joke thrown in at the last second. [​IMG]

4. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

I know that any blue light is illegal in most states - including those stupid lighted windshield washer jets. But just call your local city hall or PD. They will tell you. More than likely, they will say no way just to be cautious. Most people just take a chance with stuff like that.

Bad thing is if the cop is being rough they can actually take you to county jail for the night for impersonating a police vehicle.

5. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i remember reading on vwvortex a few years ago, when the new jettas and golfs were first coming out (late 99, early 2000), a few got pulled over because the blue instrument lights had cops thinking they were aftermarket lights.

CJ

6. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    I always thought that a red light in front is prohibited because it can mislead some drivers, under circumstances, into thinking that it's the back of a car driving away.

Cees

7. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Ok, sounds like a plan. I was also thinking I could either put it in the tailgate of the car comehow, or put a big magnetic sticker on it saying, 'KITT' so people know what it is [​IMG].

8. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

I hope you're not a virgin, because I have a feeling you won't be getting some anytime soon. [​IMG]

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Seriously, why not just go to the nearest police station or precinct and simply ask about this issue.

10. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Maybe I should have put a blinking smiley? Or do they make Mr.Sarcastic, the Smley? [​IMG]

11. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    In Missouri, it's illegal to show a red light to the front of the car. Each state has their own laws, though. If your police use a blue light for emergency vehicles, it might be ok.

I would check with the local state police/highway patrol, as they would be the most up on state laws. Local police often only enforce local ordinance, and I would guess any restriction would be in the state law.

12. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Hmm, Guess I didn't post this reply like I thought I did. I would go to the local police station, but I won't be driving it in town only. Do each towns have a different set of rules, or are they the same statewide?

13. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

All states now follow the federal uniform motor vehicle code for lighting, red lights on the front are not legal on the street, lights in front have to be white to yellow, running lights and brake lights in the rear have to be red, turn signals in the rear can be red or yellow, but not white

technicly the KITT flashing thing is illegal,but you probably will not be bothered unless the cop is in a really bad mood

14. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

I thought the KITT lights were white or yellow? I met a guy one day who had a complete KITT replica he was driving around. He had it set up with the "special" lighting on a separate circuit and switch, and he was running the lights with the car parked.

15. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy

They can be different. The state has the overall driving law. Each city adopts ordinances involving traffic law. They can be different jurisdiction to jurisdiction. That is why I would recommend checking with your state police. Most often, something like this would be part of the state traffic law, rather than a city ordinance.