Any cons (poss damage) to shutting off house heating system during late night movie?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AlbertH, Feb 13, 2002.

1. AlbertH

AlbertH Stunt Coordinator

When I watch movies late at night (after 10pm and everyone in the house is sleeping) I would like to shut off the heating system in the house. It is located in an adjacent room to my "ultimate home theater" and the sound comes through the open doorway. The darn thing turns on every 10 minutes and drives my patrons and I NUTS! Since i'm only 20 and don't know much about heating, what downsides or damage can be caused by doing so? I'm sure 2 hours without heat won't hurt anyone, especially if they are deep asleep, and it's not to cold in my house to begin with. Are there any dangers to shutting it off during the movie? I found a switch where I can shut it off.

2. DougRuss

DougRuss Stunt Coordinator

just turn down your thermostat to around 50 degrees?
    If you shut it off at a switch at the furnace it may shut of the Pilot Light, and if it doesn't have electronic igniter, you'll have to re-light the Pilot Light?
    Just crank the Thermostat down !!
    Or you could go "High Tech" and get this ?
    Click Here

3. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I agree with Doug. But, if it's going off every 10 minutes... you will probably find it pretty cold in your place after 2 hours. [​IMG]

4. Leo A. Chimo

Leo A. Chimo Agent

Turning off the power switch should not effect the pilot light, the pilot is designed to stay on during a power loss. If it's electronic ing, same deal- no problem.

5. Neil Weinstock

Neil Weinstock Stunt Coordinator

Simply turning down the thermostat has the advantage of not letting it get *too* cold in there. You can choose your tolerance point and set it there.

At some point the noise becomes preferable to shivering, eh?