Any computer sim racers here?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam Bluhm, Sep 30, 2002.

1. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

I have two big hobbies. One is home theater and the other is sim racing on the pc. I mostly race NR2002 by Papyrus (marketed by Sierra) and it makes for hours of fun. I just wanted to share a car my bro painted for me.
    I just thought maybe some of you share a similar interest. Anyone?
    [​IMG]

2. Will Pomeroy

Will Pomeroy Stunt Coordinator

Nice, i stay away from nascar type games, but i do like more realitic type games... You should try NFS 5 porsche unleashed, or Sport Car GT... They're both great games.

3. Adam Bluhm

Just an FYI, Will. The NFS lines are as arcadish as they come (well, just about). When most see 'NASCAR', they think of EA's NASCAR games.
    This particular sim is developed by Papyrus which dedicates most of the cpu power to the physics. This game has the most advanced physics engine of any sim on the market. It is the same engine which was initially used with Grand Prix Legends. GPL was released by Papyrus around '97.
    If you'd like to try it out, download the demo. There is an arcade mode in the sim as well. The garage area for setups is dumbed down and the handling is much easier (arcadish). If you try sim mode (most popular of online racers), I suggest using a racing wheel. Using a gamepad or keyboard with this is pointless. The default setups that come with the sim are very tight. More can be downloaded all over the net.
    Anyway, can you tell I'm into this? [​IMG]

4. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

I loved the Indy game Papyrus made. Didn't know they kept going strong after Sierra bought them. It felt like the quality/originality diminished after that. Guess that's not necessarily true!

5. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

I used to love playing that Nascar Racing game, the physics are great and you actually feel like your IN the car. Another favorite of my was Grand Prix Racing 2, what a a classic. My favorite racing game is Gran Turismo 3, that's just an all around killer game, and same with GT1/GT2.

6. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

I don't do any on-line racing but that car is gorgeous! It looks real, right down to the drivers signature! Great job [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Are the sponsors logos available for download or did he have to make those as well?

7. Adam Bluhm

I think my brother made them, for the most part.
    Yes, Ryan. They've kept at it. Unfortunately, EA has apparently gotten all the rights to NASCAR after the 2003 season, so a February version of Papyrus' sim will be their last of the NASCAR genre. [​IMG]
    Yeah, some of these pics can be amazing. I actually run a low resolution in the game. Some of the community is actually working on 'high res' templates for the cars. They look much sharper than this. I'll throw them up if I find any.

8. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Im a sim racer fan here, but not computer.. mainly console, more specifically, dreamcast... And the best Sim racer out there? ferarri F355 challenge [​IMG]

9. Joe Meissner

Joe Meissner Stunt Coordinator

I play the NHRA drag racing game. I f you are into drag racing it is well worth it. they are supposedly working on a new edition.