Any comparisons of Outlaw 950 vs Denon 5800/5803?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike OConnell, Jul 22, 2002.

1. Mike OConnell

Mike OConnell Second Unit

Mike
    I am considering selling my Denon 5800 and changing to a separate pre/pro/amp.

I am considering Outlaw 950/770 combo ($2700) or the upcoming Sherbourn PT-7000/7-2100 combo (estimated retail $4250 - streets much lower).

Has anyone compared the above units (obviuosly the Sherbourn has no reviews yet....) directly?

What are the good and bad points about each unit. One item I am not concerned with is the remote functionality as I have a Pronto.

I am more concerned with sound and functionality.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Matt AFA

Matt AFA Extra

I think the person most qualified to answer this would be RAF. He has the 5800 predecessor, the 5700. And he is one of the very few to actually have the Outlaw combo. Having had the 5700 and the 5800 myself, I can tell you the differences(between those two) sonically are pretty huge--but I have only heard the Outlaw 1050 receiver. There was no comparison there.

3. Mike OConnell

Mike
    Anybody with any comments......

4. AustinKW

AustinKW Stunt Coordinator

Mike,

If I were you, I wouldn't touch ANY processors currently on the market. Wait until the digital interface between multi-channel music players and processors is thrashed out. In the meantime, you CAN proceed with purchasing outboard amps and using the 5800 as a pre/pro. Once the interface wars subside (I estimate by early next year), you should have a bunch of processors to choose from. Good luck.

Austin

5. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

6. Mike OConnell

Mike
    Not related - that I know of..... I am from Iowa and moved to KC 12 years ago.

Here is where the decision needs to be made a little bit quicker. I have the chance to upgrade the 5800 (cost is around $850, including shipping) to basically a 5803, without a couple of items that I probably would not use. This decision has to be made within the next few weeks.

Have I been happy with the 5800 - definitely! Would I like to get the DPLII and variable crossover added to the 5800 with the upgrade - definitely!

However, when coupling the cost of what I can probably get selling my 5800 (around $1500 - $1600) with the $850 from the cost of the upgrade, it comes to around $2300 - $2500.

That being said, I can switch to separates for about the same cost - The Outlaw system for around $2500 + ship and the soon to be released Sherbourn system for around an estimated $2700 + ship.

I have already pulled the Denon 5800 from the system and have inserted my old Yamaha 992 (what a definite step backwards in sound - I don't know if it is the processing or the amp). However, I could sell the 5800 and buy just a new amp to aid the Yamaha until some of the dust clears, and then buy the new pre/pro.

I am using Paradign Reference Series V2 Speakers (60's, CC, ADP's and SA-10R in-ceiling rears).

Thanks for the thoughts.

Mike

7. AustinKW

AustinKW Stunt Coordinator

Hi Mike,

Aha! Now it's getting clearer. You're on the horns of Denon's upgrade dilemma. Well, I'll make it easy for you. Sell the thing RIGHT NOW so that a cash-strapped 5803-wannabe can pay for the upgrade and be happy for the rest of his life. You are obviously headed into separates so putting money into anything other than separates makes no sense. You can't get more for the upgraded unit less the cost of the upgrade than you can for the unit in its present condition. So dump it while its still upgradable.

With the proceeds from the 5800 sale, get going on those outboard amps. When the format/interface/copy-protection wars are over, pitch the receiver and let the market and your budget pick the pre/pro for you. Your amps will bolt right up to the new pre/pro. Good luck.

Austin