Any comments on the FAN NOISE from the Crown CE2000?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony_Gomez, Jan 27, 2002.

1. Looking to upgrade my Carvin DCM600 to the Crown CE2000, but I am concerned about the fan noise.

I find the carvin to be a little on the noisy side (not necessarily compared to other power amps, just for when I listen to music)...anyone hear both of these amps have a comment...or even CE owners?

Thanks

Hey, if you could hold an SPL meter right up to the grill when the fan is running (and nothing else of course=), that would be great!

2. Jeremy_Wolf

Jeremy_Wolf Agent

I can help you out in this department. I own a CE2000 and use it to push my subs. The fan can get a little noisey, but it is not enough to bother me. The only time that I will really even notice it when whatching a movies is when you go from a really loud bassy scene to a really quite one. I for one do not let a little fan noise bother me. I'll try to get some reading for you later today if time permits. You also have to push the amp hard to get the fan to come on at full speed. 5 mins of 20hz at 100+Db is usually enough to get the fan to full speed. After being at full speed, the fan will only run for about 2-3 mins before shutting off again.

3. Thats a start of good news=)

The DCM's fan isn't too loud, but it is always on at the same speed.

4. Jeremy_Wolf

Jeremy_Wolf Agent

I just did some measurements. It took about 5 mins of bass music to get the fan up to full speed. Checking with my re-calibrated radioshack meeter I was hitting 110 dB in room on the peaks [​IMG] I then killed the CD and measured the fan noise at the front of the amp with the mike 1" from the face of the amp. The noise was 72dB. I measured it at 1M and the noise was 58dB. I tried to measure it from my seating position, but was not able to get a reading. As you can see from the readings, the fan is not very loud. It is well below the average listening level. If you leave the amp on all of the time, the fan will cyle on and off every 10mins or so, but it does not get up to full speed. The speed of the fan is proportional to the temp of the amp.

5. Ron Shaw

Ron Shaw Stunt Coordinator

Where is the fan located? Maybe you could make a small 'sound baffle' like they use in recording studios (for the heating/cooling vents).