What's new

Any comments on "The Blob" (1988)? (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Peter Bracke at DVDFile was underwhelmed by both the video and the audio. Has anyone else looked at this?
M.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
What a coincidence. I held it in my hand tonight, and comtemplated the purchase. It's pretty much bare bones, and I can't fathom that the fanbase is large enough to get a rerelease. Such a tough decision, because I generally avoid bare releases unless it's truly a special movie.
Sigh, but there's so much fun in this movie that I may have to buckle. His review is pretty discouraging though.
------------------
Bombardment Society - Member

Robert George

Screenwriter
I haven't read Peter's review, but I suppose this is the sort of disc that would elicit this sort of reaction from those that have become used to the near-perfection of new movies on DVD.
I consider the DVD transfer of this film an accurate representation of an older film element that is obviously not in pristine condition. There is a mild haze of grain that is not always visible, and there is noticeable dirt and small nicks throughout. On the positive side, the image is very stable and is very crisp and detailed. Colors are relatively strong without any problems in that area. The soundtrack is a serviceable Dolby Surround track that is obviously not going to be comparable to something like The Mummy Returns.
Michael, I know you have the benefit of perspective being a collector from laserdisc days. I expect you would be quite happy with the DVD edition of The Blob. I am.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Thanks, Robert! That's exactly the perspective I was looking for.
I'm not sure why, but I'm finding cheesy horror films very watchable at the moment. The more fantastical, the better. Latest example: The Legend of Hell House. The Blob should fit right in.
M.

JasonK

Supporting Actor
I watched this last nite, and echo Robert's sentiments. The transfer + sound will not blow you away, but for a 1988 movie, it's certainly watchable.
And wow, Michael. I also have been in a "fantastical" horror film mood as of late. I watched Hell House last week, as well as Scanners. I watched The Blob and The Howling last night, and Nightbreed is coming up next. Also, MaxY had a great thread about horror flicks that's about 15 pages and has TONS of suggestions/reviews.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I finally got a chance to watch this, and my thanks to all of you who encouraged me to get it. It's easily the best this film has ever looked, and on my system at least, it looked pretty damn good.
I can't seem to find Peter Bracke's original review, but his one-line summary from the news archive reads as follows:
Unfortunately, this disc is sorely lacking in every department, so is likely a must-have only for absolute diehards.
With all due respect to DVDFile, if it had been my only source, I might have missed out on the pleasure of adding this 80s horror classic to my collection. This is just one more example of how dangerous it can be to rely on a single reviewer .
M.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
That's it. I'm picking this one up tomorrow!. It just kept slipping my mind.
Thanks for the review Michael, as I too almost passed up on it due to the review at DVD file. I hate to say it, but I enjoy this remake more than the original.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.

Lafe F

Second Unit
The transfer was fine in my opinion. I hadn't seen this movie since 1988, so I had a few surpises when I watched the DVD.

Mike Friedrich

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone done a side by side LD to Dvd comparison ? I imagine the video quality is superior on the Dvd release, but how about the LD's [UltraStereo] sound in comparison?
The Blob LD has the old Image opening with the LD's twirling all about, kind of nostalgic.
I've had The Blob on LD for quite some time and I was just curious.
bodymov'n
cool.gif

------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks