What's new

Any comments on Prokofiev's 'Nevsky' DVD-Audio? (1 Viewer)

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
I was at a Virgin Megastore this afternoon and saw a DVD-A of Alexander Nevsky (Naxos), just curious if anyone had heard this recording, any comments appreciated. I like the score in general but would only go for this disc if it's a good quality recording (surround?).

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
One web reviewer was less enthusiastic about the RSSO interpretation:

http://www.classicstoday.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=6600

I am rarely disappointed by Naxos, especially at their price point, but I suspect the "wide soundstage" masks what is probably just an average rendition. Not terribly bad (as the above reviewer insinuates), but not outstanding either. That's just my instinct, as again - I haven't heard it. But scouring the reviews I hear more glowing words about the surround effect than the orchestra.

Just like a live show always sounds better than the bootleg of the live show, a surround recording of average material generally pulls it up a few notches.

I've always liked the classic (and popular) Claudio Abaddo / Chicago recording of Nevsky on DG, which I'm guessing you already have. I've noticed listeners often stick with the first recording they hear, regardless of how odd (or bland) it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks