What's new

Any comments on GOODFELLAS and/or SWORDFISH on HD? (1 Viewer)

Steve Blair

Second Unit
You're welcome Walter, knew that info would come in handy someday lol Also Ron, the biggest thing to remember for new buyers is the Voutput button. I believe the player defaults to component which is good for Ron but for others using hdmi remember to hit the voutput button to switch to hdmi. Otherwise you'll just get a black screen on the hdmi output.

Another reminder is when doing an update, afterward some people were stating their hdmi output didn't work anymore but the problem is the player reset its' functions and reverted back to component. So, if you're an hdmi user after the update don't forget to hit that voutput button to get the picture back.

Ron, I envy your first time on Wednesday. I'd put in POTO first as that one is great. The Last Samurai looks great too but is a little bit softer than some of the other hd dvds but I believe that's the way it was filmed. Not soft by any means, just softer than the new stuff. Some recent reference stuff I've seen is Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Chronicles of Riddick and Training Day. Please let us know how you like it all on Wednesday and if you have any questions.

Oh, and use a universal remote asap as the tosh remote is not the one you want to use daily. I use the HTM mx-600 and it works great with the tosh.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
I just got my RCA on Friday and the right out of the box, I couldn't see anything via HDMI.
A quick look in the manual, and a press of the V.Output solved the issue.

I picked up Goodfellas and Unforgiven and rented Van Helsing.

I haven't seen enought of Goodfellas to comment but Unforgiven is jaw dropping.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

How is it in "rough shape"? As I recall, there's one brief shot in GOODFELLAS that has a small verticle line running through it, but what else is wrong with the "print" used for GOODFELLAS that categorizes it as being in "rough shape"?

Vincent

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Ron, Serenity? IMO, a must have.

TLS looked beautiful, some of the scenes looked almost 3D. PotO, most impressive as well, one of the best.

The amount of detail and color saturation your in for is fantastic, my jaw was on the floor, it looked stunning. Both my wife and daughter could not stop pointing out the details in PotO.

Set your player at 1080i out and never change it for HD-DVDs or SD-DVDs. You are in for such a treat.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yuh know, I'd buy Serenity in a heartbeat but I don't
know if I would like it or get into it since I never saw the TV show
that it is spun out of.

If you guys think Serenity is worth my time, I'll go buy it
on Wednesday and make that my first watch.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Ron, you don't have to have seen the show to follow or enjoy SERENITY.

I've heard from many people who never saw the show and liked the movie. Your milage may vary, of course.

And many find this to be one of the best HD DVDs!

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Ron, do you like Sci-fi? If so, Serenity is one of the best since the original Star Wars. Most all my friends loved Serenity w/o ever seeing or hearing of Firefly.

If you do like Serentiy, pick up the series, some of the best TV Sci-fi todate.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Since this thread is so off track (hardware issues & all) already, I don't mind asking;
Any word of Firefly on HD?
Is it years & years away?
Thanks...
And now back to GoodFish.

BrandonJF

Second Unit

I don't know about years, but it's not coming anytime in the forseeable future since Fox is still one of the Blu-Ray exclusive studios...

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

Ron, Serenity is an excellant 'programer'- it doesn't have the scope of SW, but it's witty, exciting, funny and has that certain joie de vivre a lot of us felt have been missing from sci-fi/space opera movies since the glory days of SW.
But honestly, to fully appreciate the film, I'd dip into the series first and see if it's your cup of tea. It's a short series, so it wouldn't eat up a lot of your time, and the resolutions to certain characters and 'mysteries' in the film is just so much stronger when you have the context of the series events/relationships behind you.

Last I heard the series was available for around $25- or you could always netflix a couple of the discs. And yeah, it's Fox so it isn't likely we'll see it anytime soon on HD DVD.

Its a top flight HD DVD, but it would just be a shame to short change yourself of the 'total' experience.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'll hold off on the movie in hopes of eventually watching
the series first.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Brandon,
Thanks.
Just so you know, by HD, I meant High Def, not HD DVD.
So, so far no Fox announcement, huh?

Kind of wierd the movie is HD DVD & Show will be Blu!
It's like the Blue vs. Gray of the Civil War , with family against family!!! ;-)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Regarding setting output to 1080i, aso note that when using component video cables the player will automatically switch to 480p when playing a standard dvd. When you put in another HD-DVD it will automatically reset itself to 1080i.

You can also select component or hdmi output, it will only do one at a time. This is selectable with the "V output" button, third one down on the left. My player arrived set to component as default. If you inadvertently press this button the front display will read "HDMI ERROR 1" if you have no HDMI connection. Just mash the button again.

On an unrelated note, though the fourth button down on the left changes resolution, and the third button down on the left changes between component and HDMI output, the second button down does nothing at all! (yet).

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I've never seen Firefly, but was able to follow Serenity just fine. Whedon does a good job of making it accessible to newcomers. I may have missed some character nuances but I didn't feel lost at all.

Goodfellas looks great. Early on there's a closeup of an eye that's just stunning, and the place HD DVD excels is in bringing up shadow detail, which is good for a shadowy film like this one. That one vertical scratch has been on every version I've ever seen, and I suspect it may be on the original negative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks