Any comic book proffesionals browse these boards?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DeathStar1, Nov 11, 2004.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Even though I doubt it, it can't hurt to ask.

I'm looking for opinions from comic book fans and pro's, about a new project I'm developing. Right now, it's only in the planning stages. The desigsns and name of the book where just sent out to be copyrighted, and hopefully should be finalized in the next month. The second draft of issue one is about halfway through being completed, and will be sent in for copyright by Christmas hopefully

I'm also wondering if we have any speed readers here who wouldn't mind taking a look at my second script. I've never tried anything like this before, so i'm not quite sure how a comic script is setup, or what should be included in a first issue to make it interesting, but so far I like what I've got and I hope others do to. Would anyone have the time to give reviews once the stuff is finalized?

The one thing I guess I can tell you, is that it's going to be a superhero book that merges the east and west cultures together. It's also going to be an action/comedy mix.3 of the main heroes will be from eastern culture, China and Japan to be exact, while the other two will be from Florida and NY.

hopefully I'll be able to post the temp character drawings for reviews soon.

Thanks for anyone who might be able to help [​IMG].

2. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

I am a fast and critical reader; I currently proofread a hobby monthly with an international circulation [of about 500 I admit [​IMG] ]; I am strongly familiar with Japanese culture and language, and somewhat with Chinese; and my sister was big into comic books a while back, so I know something about that too. Do you think I can help you?
    By the way, I think it is more usual these days to storyboard out a comic, the same way live-action movies are being done. Funny how a technique developed to ease the burden on animation scriptwriters is making its way everywhere. I blame the proliferation of flowcharts. [​IMG]

3. Patrick_L

Patrick_L Second Unit

i didn't realize there was such a thing as a "comic book professional". interesting.

4. Mike Brogan

Mike Brogan Second Unit

You might want to look into doing some research on that. Here's a simple comic book script template (in PDF) from Epic Comics
    Script template
    And here's a forum dealing with comic book writing.
    Talent Engine
    Also Alan Moore has written a book on the subject.
    Alan Moore's Writing For Comics

Good luck.

5. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Well, if you're looking to find out how a script is set up, I know that Bendis has published a Powers scriptbook, and there are definitely scripts published in a few other trades as extras (although where I've seen them escapes me at the moment). It seems to be pretty individualistic though-some write a comic script like a movie script, while others will plot, draw, and then fill in dialogue (i.e. the classic "Marvel method").

6. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

That's the way I'm setting it up right now. using a free trial version of final draft seven to set it up as a movie script.

The other thing I don't know about....is a first issue supposed to be exciting and action packed? So far, all I've done is set things up, with a bit of humor packed in. I don't know if I'd be able to fit in the big action battle with the first villain in the first issue. I'm at page 15 all ready.

And as far as 'comic book proffesional', someone who's done it far more times than I have [​IMG].

7. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Well, the images have been sent to the copyright offices in DC, so I guess there's no harm in posting them.

Here's what I have so far. Remember, even when using pictures as basis for these characters, I still suck at creating original drawings, so don't be too harsh [​IMG].

[​IMG]

We have the Hero, Keif Richardson. He has the powers of Super Strength and Psychochonetic Ability. Resides in Florida. Height 5'6" Hair, Black.

We have the girlfriend. Akina Hoshi. Japanese American who comes from a purebred Japanese familly wich follows the traditions of her home country rather than the Americas. She excells in college and is an A rated surfer in her spare time. Age: 23, Height, 5'5" Hair, Black.

We have the Samurai, no name decided on yet. Comes from a small village in Japan that sticks to the simpler ways of life. Even though he is aware of technology, he tries to avoid it whenever possible, because he has more important things to worry about. Seems the worlds last ninjas have been feuding with his familly for centuries. He eventually gets tired of fighting and looks to come to America to lead a better life...
    Age, 35. Height, 5'7". Hair, Black.

We have the Mystic Shinobi from China. Able to perform complex illusions, and knows a little bit of magic as well. For instance, she can make herself appear to be at 4 places at once, fooling an enemies senses, or can user her magic to split herself into four actual people and do various missions at once. Not much is known about her past, or her upbringing. Age, 45. Heigh, 5'5". Hair, Black.

And Finally, the Mechanic that keeps all their high tech weapons and vehicles intact. She's from Brooklyn NY and is probably the most life loving, fun, and enthusiastic of the bunch. She also helps on the missions, including solving one of NY's mysterious mysteries.

I was just messing around with various colors to see what they would look like, here's what I came up with. I'm obviously going to need a proffesional colorer here too..

[​IMG]

8. Patrick_L

Patrick_L Second Unit

one of the females should have a really huge rack. that kid looks like a minature Lou Ferrigno and doesn't look anywhere near 5'6". and what's with their skin colour being all the same?

other than that, the characters look pretty good.

9. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I also suggest a proofreader. You've got some scattered spelling errors. I assume by "Psychochonetic" you mean "psychokinetic". And, at the risk of being two picky, I immediately wondered if your hero's alter-ego is an aging rocker: Keif Richardson is very similar to Keith Richards. [​IMG]

Regardless, it looks like a good start. I hope it goes well!

10. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Actually, I thought he shold look more like a Keanue Reeves type, as I picture him as a smarter version of his Ted character from Bill and Tedd, but I didn't have any good pictures to use, wich is why the character dosn't look like the others on the sheet....

11. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Yeah, Spelling is not one of my strong points, so it's definetly going through a spell checker before I post it anywhere.

And actually, the name was inspired from Kiff from Futurama. I didn't want a normal sounding name like Bill, or Tom, so I just added an e, and took out an f and it became Keif.

12. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

If your doing self publishing you may also want to read Dave Sims "Cerebus & Self Publishing"

He was one of the first and has invaluable knowledge on the subject. You can find the book on ebay.

I went to Kuberts art school in Dover NJ and wrote and drew dozens of comic books myself.Once I actually started writting scripts, I simply wrote out a script and then broke it down afterwards into page #s with thumbnails.

When ur writing it you see it in your mind as well,seeing the page as you write it,giving you a rough idea.Some scripts were 20 pages, some were 10, it depended on how I wanted to get the idea across.I used to simply write the new page number above the paragraph.

Also as I got older, I begin doing less of the Marvel type narrative stories and was telling more visually(like Akira), without words, which made for shorter scripts, but alot more prep,stroyboard and thumbnails.

But it almost never worked out exactly as you had it. Theres always some fine tuning and such,adding a pannel here, taking away one there, what you thought would take one page will actually take 2 and so on.

I was constantly thinking about the story and how to improve it, so additions or changes were always made until the last minute. Id even write things on seperate pices of paper and staple them to where they belonged in the story.

A few years ago I promised myself Id start on my 100 issue storyline,even if I just did it for myself, to accomplish it.About 60% of it is written. The first 14 issues are completely finalized and ready to draw. The rest varies from ready to be drawn to basic outline to just a few ideas writen down. If I was able to finish 2 pages a week, it would only take me a couple decades [​IMG]

I still havent done it[​IMG]

"The other thing I don't know about....is a first issue supposed to be exciting and action packed? So far, all I've done is set things up, with a bit of humor packed in."

It also depends on your target audience.Are you gunning for 10 year old boys or 16-20 year olds?

Younger:As long as its "cool",something to catch their eye, it'll be ok.

Older: IMHO the racks are full of mindless mayhem. Create interesting characters and situations. So people will wonder what happens next,THATs what will make them back next month to see what happens.Whats the point of a big battle if you dont know or care about the characters?

13. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Neil, try www.millarworld.net, Mark Millar's website. The message board has a creative forum where users can post their work and hook up with other aspiring creators. Some of them have even been published by the big two.

There ARE pros who are regulars on Millar's board (Warren Ellis, Rob Liefeld, Kurt Busiek, and Travis Charest are some of the most frequently seen ones), but users are not supposed to PM them or request them to look at their portfolio, so don't go that route [​IMG]

14. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Older: IMHO the racks are full of mindless mayhem. Create interesting characters and situations. So people will wonder what happens next,THATs what will make them back next month to see what happens.Whats the point of a big battle if you dont know or care about the characters?
    >>>>

Missed this bit. I guess I'm going for more of an adult adueince. I'm throwing in a few light 'swear' words like damn/hell. Not a heck to be seen in this book [​IMG]. If things work out, there's also going to be dating tension between the characters, something most kids probably wouldn't be inerested in. Also, one or two issues will revolve around Ninjas. Swords will make contact, a bit of blood will spew...but nothing too violent like arm decapitation.

You should know something about the two main characters in the first issue. So far, it mostly seems to be introduction and exposition. I just sat down and wrote 15 pages of script, bringing the issue to around 25 pages total. Looks like the first battle with the first villain will happen in issue 2. But hopefully it'll give people a chance to know the characters somewhat before all th eaction starts...

15. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Issue 1

For any spead Readers, here's Issue 1, Draft Two. Interested in any constructive opinions. I've left in character descriptions and issue ideas...

Also some new rough character art for one of the main ones... I know it still stinks, but I still can't get the hands to look decent.

[​IMG]

16. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Neil - I hope you're not "throwing in" harsh language merely to be "adult". Vulgarity does not make a work mature -- good writing does that.

Put another way, "Toy Story" shows a greater maturity of story-telling than "Mortal Kombat".

17. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Nope, nothing bad heard in s ay, an R or PG-13 movie. Just the level of stuff you'd hear in an average Simpsons episode.... What the hell, instead of what the heck, damn it to hell, stuff like that...

18. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Neil V,How goes the book?

"I know it still stinks, but I still can't get the hands to look decent."

To quote Dave Sim.... "Its a Neil V hand" I still think you need to look up that book. "Cerebus Guide To Self Publishing"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

20 years from now hands will still be a problem. Not sure how far u are from Orange County, but I can always give u some art lessons if youd like [​IMG]

How old are you? If you want to improve your artwork (and who doesnt),can you take some art classes in a local community college?