Any clever ideas for bringing projector cables down from the ceiling?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by RonSAR, Jan 6, 2004.

1. RonSAR

RonSAR Extra

I am looking for suggestions on how best to bring projector cables out of a ceiling, with the capability of easily re-opening the ceiling if new cabling or upgrades are required. Has anyone thought of anything clever?

2. Jim Rakowiecki

Jim Rakowiecki Stunt Coordinator

Have you considered a wire chase? Just a length of pcv pipe from your projector to your equipment with a trap door or access panel above the projector to allow for easy access. The pipe is fairly inexpensive and I have seen plastic access panels at home centers which can be painted and mounted above the projector would be pretty well hidden.
    This may be be painful at first but once in place would allow you to replace the cable at will without ever opening the ceiling.

3. RonSAR

RonSAR Extra

Good idea.

The projector mount will be suspended from an 1.5 inch pipe and the cables could be routed through the pipe. What I was looking for was a suggestion for access. The trap door idea is great.

Now that I think of it, I might use the kind of access panel that can be purchased at marine stores and are designed for use on boats. I don't know whether such panels are available for sheet rock, or, if they are available, where they might be purchased.

4. richard_v

richard_v Stunt Coordinator

I built a pod which my Z1 suspends from. I then mounted an "O Ring" (like you see on office furniture to bring cables to the desktop) into the pod. The pod houses all of my cables which I can easily access. Check out my pix (www bar above) for a better understanding.

Good Luck!

5. RonSAR

RonSAR Extra

WOW !!!

Somehow, the word "IMPRESSIVE", doesn't quite cover it.

The pod is a good idea, and the pictures are great.

Thanks for the advice.