What's new

Any Children Of Bodom, Opeth, or Pain Of Salvation Fans? (1 Viewer)

DavidBelis

Agent
Over the last few months, I've really been getting into metal, and these are my 3 favourite metal bands.

I don't see any of them discussed at all (aside from 1 or 2 Opeth threads from a long time ago).

Like I siad, I've recently heard quite a few of their songs that I've really enjoyed, and I'm interested in to picking up a few albums of theirs, as soon as can find them at semi-decent prices.

Any other fans of these fantastic bands? What are your favourite albums and songs by each?

My 5 favourites by each of these bands are probably:

Children of Bodom:

Downfall
Children Of Decadence
Every Time I Die
Bed Of Razors
Touch Like Angels of Death

Pain Of Salvation:

Ashes
Undertow
Used
Dryad Of the Woods
A Trace Of Blood

Opeth:

Harvest
Bleak
The Night And The Silent Water
Black Rose Immortal
The Drapery Falls

So, if you're a fan, please discuss these amazing bands (or other similar bands). If not, I strongly suggest checking them out. These 3 melodic and progressive death metal bands each consist of incredible musicians and brilliant songwriters, and definitely deserve a listen.

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
I'm a huge metal and progressive metal fan and Pain of Salvation and Opeth are two of my favorite bands. I don't really know exactly what to say other than these two bands NEED to be checked out. Favorite albums by each are:

Opeth:

Deliverance
Still Life

Pain of Salvation:

The Perfect Element Part I

Rock on!

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I've been a huge Opeth pusher on this forum for a while. I'm not even into metal anymore these days, so they're one of only three current metal bands that I really, really love (Dream Theater and Tool are the other two, and I'm not talking about older bands who are still around like Iron Maiden).

David, from your song selection, it seems you favor older Opeth. I like it, but feel they reached metal God-hood after they changed the rhythm section and released My Arms, Your Hearse. Then, they refined their sound and created two absolutely divine albums: Still Life and Blackwater Park. I just can't say enough about songs like Godhead's Lament, Drapery Falls, Bleak, and Moonlaps Vertigo.

Their last two, Deliverance and Damnation, are great, but do lack the dynamic contrasts of their previous work.

I've heard of Pain of Salvation. I think one of their members has recently joined The Flower Kings.

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
Daniel Gildenlow (the singer of Pain of Salvation) did not join The Flower Kings. He just sings backup on a few songs and has gone on a tour with them. Pain of Salvation is his primary band and focus, not to mention much better than the Flower Kings anyway.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I'm seeing Opeth next Thursday night in NYC with their very special guests Porcupine Tree.

I'm a big Porcupine Tree fan so I'll be checking out Opeth for the first time (i've never heard them yet).

DavidBelis

Agent
I might be seeing the Opeth-Porcupine Tree this Tuesday.
I haven't decided yet, however, tickets are still available.

I really want to see Opeth live, although I'm not sure about PT. As many times as I've heard Porcupine Tree mentioned by other metal fans, I've never actually heard anything by them.

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
Seeing that your a big Opeth fan, I'll tell you to not expect much from Porcupine Tree. Thier "sound" is basically a collection of other bands. There's very little originality, an un-interesting singer, and the instrumentation is nothing to write home about. Opeth wipes the floor with them.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Rich, let's just say I strongly disagree with you regarding Porcupine Tree and The Flower Kings.

They're not metal bands, so it's silly to compare them as such. TFK are melodic and symphonic (in the 70s prog-rock sense of the word). Porcupine Tree influenced as many bands as they have been influenced. If it wouldn't be for bands like these, all modern prog would sound like 70s re-hashes.

Porcupine Tree in particular is a huge influence on how Opeth sounds today. Besides Steve Wilson's production, Opeth's songs have little or no soloing and are built around logical, flowing thematic lines, much like Porcupine Tree.

It's no coincidence the bands are touring together.

If anyone is seeing Opeth for the first time on their tour with Porcupine Tree, keep in mind that they're probably going to stick to their mellower material, which isn't typical of their sound. They are first and foremost a metal band. I saw them a couple of months ago and they did nothing off of their last album, Damnation (a non-metal album), saving all that stuff for their shows with PT.

I hope to see them next Thursday in NY.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Oh, almost forgot- did some CD trading today and, with this thread in mind, picked up a Pain of Salvation disc. I'll post my thoughts after I hear it.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i'd never even heard of Opeth before about March this year when a friend told me he couldnt wait for their newest CD. i was kinda intrigued, so when it came out i had a listen.

needless to say, i now own Damnation and think it's the 2nd best CD to be released this year (behind Radiohead of course!). i love this sound they have, so i'm kinda unsure if i'll like their older stuff.

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
Mike, i know all of what your saying, but what I'm saying is regardless of who they've influenced, Porcupine Tree just plain rips off other bands. They sound like a mix of Dream Theater, Radiohead, and Tool. Look at the music video and overall sound of Strip the Soul. Tell me Steven Wilson wasn't pouring over his Tool collection while writing this song. There's nothing, new, fresh or exciting about bands like Flower Kings and Porcupine Tree is all I'm trying to say. There's nothing necessarily wrong with that, considering i like some Symphony X and all their songs have the exact same basic sound.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I spun my recent Pain of Salvation CD and I liked it. Given its place in this thread I expected it to be heavier, but was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't (lately, I can only listen to really heavy music a little bit- I guess I'm getting old).

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Just curious, Mike, which CD did you pick up? I think they are the best prog metal group out there. Very creative and unique.

Rich: they may not be the most unique bands in the world, but they are great at what they do, and are tremenous live acts. A couple of the best bands that I've ever seen.

As for Opeth, I did see them live once. They are pretty boring live, since they just stand there. I can't say I care much for them either. Cookie Monster vocals just do nothing for me...

Jason

Topher

Stunt Coordinator
Opeth is an amazing band, I HIGHLY recommend Still Life and Blackwater Park. Both albums, IMHO, showcase this bands amazing ability to meld softer melodic passages with excruciatingly brutal metal! This is some of the most amazing songwriting I have heard in years. I am a huge metal fan, but I do listen to anything and everything else also. I also agree that Steve Wilson has been a MAJOR influence on Opeth and their latest to albums prove that point without question. Just read some comments on their webpage about working with Steve, it's fairly obvious.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Porcupine Tree is an excellent live band. This will be the 4th time I'm seeing them in the past 2 years.

I was at their last Irving Plaza show late last year and stood right next to the stage near Steve Wilson. They absolutely rocked that night playing their excellent new album "In Abstentia".

I turned on quite a few people on the ICE board to Porcupine Tree.

I look forward to hearing Opeth for the first time. Hope they have some cds on sale at the Show.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks