What's new

any cheap receivers that can handle 4ohms? (1 Viewer)

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
I am looking for a cheap/used receiver that can run stabel at a 4ohm load. I'm using a Pioneer 606 to drive 2 CLARK bass shakers and it's fairly good. There's a switch on the back of the Pioneer that allows the user to switch betwen 6 and 8ohms, but I can't help but wonder how far I can push it. Although it works perfectly 90% of the time, I do get the "overload" protection once in a while.

I have an AudioSource AMP3, which is stable down to 4ohms, but without an external pre-amp, there is no way to adjust the gain on the incoming voltage so my bass shakers are hardly effective. Overall effect is preferred with the Pioneer receiver, but for extended bass effects, the AudioSourse "feels more solid".

Elbert

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Elbert,

If you’re looking for something new you won’t find anything cheap that will drive 4-ohms.

Your best bet is an find old stereo (two-channel) receiver or integrated amplifier from the 70s or 80s at a pawnshop or on e-bay. Most of them would handle 4-ohms okay.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.