Any CHEAP N64 Games Out There?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Leber, Jan 24, 2002.

1. Bill Leber

Bill Leber Stunt Coordinator

I figured with the release of the GameCube N64 prices would come down. So far it hasn't happened as far as I can tell. Instead stores just aren't carrying titles.

Does anyone know anywhere, online or B&M stores, where one can find cheap N64 games? Likewise, if you have any N64 games to unload let me know, or post it on the games for sale thread.

Thanks!

2. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Pretty much any store that has N64 games has them cheap.

3. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Ebay would probably be your best bet Bill. Most stores still carry N64 games but are still charging upwards of 39.99 for the bigger titles.

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Depends what you call cheap, Morgan. In my neck of the woods, most of the 'good' N64 games are still holding a fair value - $25+. Secondhand or loose, $18+. Still a little dear for my taste.

5. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Agreed Brian.

Those are about the going rate for most N64 games right now. I've seen used Zelda 64's and Mario 64's for 30+ in some places.

I would venture to say its the cartridge format and the increased price of N64 games that is keeping the prices pretty high.

6. PS Nystrom

PS Nystrom Second Unit

Remember when the first N64 games came out and retailed for as much as $80. Did anyone ever pay that amount? If so, which game?

Pieter

Oh, and I've seen the same thing; not much in the way of deals going on at B&Ms, just the thining of shelf space.

7. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I believe I paid $80 'back in the day' for Shadows of the Empire for N64.

8. Alexander_J

Alexander_J Auditioning

The BEST deal for N64 rite now is Perfect Dark at Target for $9.99. When its on sale, it's $6.99(!). If you dont have it already, BUY IT NOW. It's an awesome game.

9. Leroy

Leroy Second Unit

I bought and N64 for my nephew for his Birthday and have picked up several used games from Blockbuster. Paid $15 for Banjo-Tooie and picked up Shadows of the Empire, Ep1 Racer for $9 each. The highest priced title was for Mario Party2 for $21.

10. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Well, its still £49.99 for Perfect Dark and another £34.99 for the memory pack here. Given you can blag a second-hand N64 for £30 its a bit silly really.

11. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    Conker's Bad Fur Day is going for $9.96 these days at Wal-Mart... definitely a steal if you are a fan or Rare's work.

Gary

12. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Pretty much every N64 game I have was bought within the first two weeks of it being out. Most expensive game I bought was probably Neon Genesis Evangelion (though a few years old and imported, it was $100).

13. Oscar_R

Oscar_R Second Unit

I remember EB wanted $90 for the Star Wars game. Said no way.

Another company that loved doing that kind of stuff was Sega with a couple of their games. Phantasy Star 4 was $75 when it was first released.

14. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Of course, those games were cart based which were expensive to make... To cut them a /little/ slack [​IMG]

15. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

[​IMG] haha Brian, our resident game developer, we appreciate the work you do. [​IMG]
    I still have a fondness for carts... and have regrettably grown all too used to the 'now loading' bars.
    Cheers,
    Joseph

16. BrianB

BrianB Producer

I'm not apologising for the blatant profiteering that went on - Turok cost $120 in the UK at launch, for example - but manufacturing costs were higher back then, with the bigger the cart, the bigger the direct cost to the publisher, unlike the flat cost of CDs these days.
    Third party games were a *huge* risk - high costs, low margins, screw up & you're left with a large inventory of carts that you can't make money back on.
    Bit like the GBA [​IMG]

17. Nathan A

Nathan A Second Unit

expensive = Turok!

i bought it at Target when it first came out and i think it was $70. might have been $80 but i think it was $70. dang it was awesome, tho.

i would check used games stores. plus you don't have to worry about scratches (i just make sure the cart looks clean).

18. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

I also recommend checking out your local Blockbuster, there is a 25% off sale right now, so you can get some pretty cheap games there. I picked up Banjo Tooie for $11, and they had many copies of Mario Party 3 and Paper Mario, both of which I'd highly recommend purchasing. I had picked up Yoshi's Story there real cheap a few months ago also. It's also nice that Blockbuster always includes the box and instructions in good shape.

A local Babbage's had a mint with Box & Instructions copy of the limited gold Zelda Ocarina for $25. I remember those going for $100 on Ebay way back when.

I imagine that Nintendo will reissue their greatest hits/million sellers titles for around $20 and reissue the N64 for $50 sometime soon to hit that demographic. This happened in previous generations and I'm sure it'll happen for the N64 too.