Any cheap alternatives to the expensive projector mounts?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Frank Lee, May 24, 2005.

1. Frank Lee

Frank Lee Stunt Coordinator

Hi

I just bought a Infocus 4805 projector. I am trying to think of ways to mount it to the ceiling. I looked at the brackets on Ebay that are going for $25. They are just a cheap walmart speaker bracket bolted to a plate of alumninum. I can make that myself pretty easy and way cheaper then $25. I was also thinking I could mount the projector with three small chains (one for each threaded hole). and attach them to hooks in the ceiling. That would be very adjustable and would be quick when I need to take it down for cleaning. Have any of you guys tried that? Would there be any bad points about the chain method? Any other methods that work good.

Frank

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Frank, I agree projector mount prices are ridiculous. I made mine for about $15. The chain idea would work OK, but it wouldn't look too good, and you wouldn't have very accurate adjustments. I used 2 pipe flanges, 1 pipe nipple, a scrap piece of MDF, 3 bolts for projector with washers and wing nuts. For the most part I used "MonkeyMan's" mount plan from Avsforum.com. There are pictures there, and it is very easy to make.

3. Matt*B

Matt*B Stunt Coordinator

Hello...

I suppose the chain idea would work -- the shorter the chain the better. However, depending on what's above the ceiling that you are mounting to, there may be vibrations which would most definitly be amplified; as seen through your picture swaying back and forth....

Matt

4. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

I did exactly that, except that I built a small wooden platform. The projector is bolted to the platform, and then attached by brass chains to the ceiling. It has worked great for 2.5 years.

5. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

The rear of my hanging shelf is attached to the wall (via a hinge, actually, so I could make sure it was the angle I needed it to be.) The front is attached via hooks and large 'eye-hooks' that are shot into the ceiling joists. Trimming the pitch was done via bolts on the long threaded sections of the eye-hooks.

It's not as elegant as it sounds (if that's possible) but it does work.

Oh, um, the projector itself is sitting, upside down, on a piece of MDF, with a small notch cutout for the lens. (It's a PT-LC75U)

Leo

6. Bobby_Ray

Bobby_Ray Auditioning

I used the Speaker mount from Walmart, mounted it to a piece of wood cut out the same size of my projector, the way i mounted the projector to the wood is using industrial velcro. Some people might be leary of using velcro but i got some "industrial strength" from the hobby section at walmart, its about 2 inches wide and i wraped it all the way around the wood and the projector and it works great. Total cost was about 5 bucks

7. Frank Lee

Bobby, when I first read your post I got the impression that you were using the velcros adhesive to attach it to the projector and to the board. After I read the post again I assumed that you are using it like a large velcro belt. If that's the case I am sure it would be as good as anything else.

Is the walmart bracket the one that has a ball joint in the middle? I would think that would offer a ton of adjustment possibilities. Do you have any problems with it moving after you get it tightened down or is it locked down good?

Does any one know if the projectors center of gravity is centered between the three mounting holes?

Frank

8. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    I have those Walmart speaker brackets for my surround speakers, and there's no way I'd use that to mount my projector. Did you see the picture of Monkeyman's mount at Avsforum.com? If not, you need to check it out. The center of gravity doesn't matter when mounting the projector, you're not hanging a heavy object.

9. Bobby_Ray

Bobby_Ray Auditioning

Im using the "ball joint" speaker mount and it works just fine. The mounting bracket is kinda small so you have to make sure you get it in a stud in the roof. It will have the tendency to lean back if you dont get it tight enough, however i was able to get it tight enough to eliminate this with my hands. The way i sued the velco was, the velcro has a sticky side and a velcro side. I put the sticky side on the projector and the opposite side of the board, then you take the other part of the velcro and wrap it around the projector and board. I will take a few pics on the setup when i get home from work and you will see how i did it. I must remind you to not cover any ventilation holes on the pj if you do wrap vecro around it.

10. Frank Lee

I just checked out monkeyman's design. Very nice. I will probably do something very close to that. Thanks