Any Charitable woodworkers in the DC Metro area?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by DanielGM, Dec 5, 2003.

1. DanielGM

DanielGM Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys. I'm a college student, which means I lack three things, 1)tools 2)money, and 3)loads of free time during the current exam period..

I am interested in DIY however for the value and the customizability. I've got 2 12" drivers which I plan to use in a push-pull arrangement in a 4 cu. ft. passive sealed box (music application). I don't really plan on building another DIY sub after this one for some time, so investing in good power tools seems like a waste to me. So if anyone in the HTF community who lives in the Northern Virginia, DC, or maryland area and who would be willing to help me build my first enclosure I would really appreciate that help. I'd of course pay for all materials, and I am not asking for your free services, but if I have a choice between buying my own cheap power tools and having someone build an enclosure for me for the same price, I will end up choosing to buy my own power tools because then I could use them for another project down the road.

Whichever way you would like to do it would be fine with me, I could either send you plans and you crank it out for me, or I could come over some weekend if someone would let me borrow their tools and give me a little tutorial.

About the only power tool I have is a power sander, so I will be able to sand and finish the enclosure myself.

Again, I'm not really looking to hire anyone in the traditional sense, because I dont think I could offer a reasonable price for their time. But if someone was looking to help a true enthusiast get their fix of good clean bass I would of course kick in enough extra for you to buy a few new saw blades and router bits. PM or email me if you think you could help out, and I would appreciate any free bumps you may give me so that enough people see this.

Thanks again,
    Daniel

2. Mark gas

Mark gas Second Unit

If you are ona tight buget get Home Depot to cut the wood. So the only tools you will need is a drill for the screws and a jig saw for the holes. Why are you going for a push pull config?

3. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

and you might ask a cabinet/woodworking/engraving shop to cut the holes for you for a small fee or maybe even for free. Of course, that would take time on your part, but probably worth it.

You also might be able to scrounge free scrap MDF from one of these shops.

Look in the yellow pages, ask around.

4. DanielGM

DanielGM Stunt Coordinator

thanks for the advice. I don't think I can really trust home depot to make decent cuts, unfortunately, I tried that with a pair of flexy stands I built and I was not impressed, thank goodness I didnt have to put the edges together. I may try some local cabinet shops though. I'm not so cheap as to not be able to afford the MDF, but I am just trying not to drop $100-200 into labor for a custom box.

going push pull for sound quality, don't care about extension and I should get down to the low twenties anyways because of the gain in my particular (small) room.

I'll break open the yellow pages in a couple weeks when the semester finishes up.

Still, anyone who wouldn't mind cranking these out or letting me come over and use their shop that would be great, even with all the cuts for free i'd still need to invest in about $50 worth of clamps to get the thing together.