Any changes to sound when you've BLOWN DRIVERS and replaced them?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_Ch, Feb 12, 2002.

1. Mike_Ch

Mike_Ch Stunt Coordinator

Got home tonight and was listening to some Jewel. Put the remote down for a sec, got up, changed discs, and sat on the volume control (imma big moron i know!). Straight away, the Denon ups the volume to +15 (!!!) and my big Rotel power amp zaps 200W to my Tannoy speakers and the dustcaps on the bass-driver fly halfway across the room and tears a huge rent on the driver itself! Something like this has happened before, when my friend (an idiot) left the volume at max and I turned on the receiver... only that time I only had 90W from the receiver and my speakers survived.
    Anyway, I went to my dealer who is going to test them out to see if there's any damage to the crossover or mid driver/tweeter (although they- its a dual concentric design- were working when I reconnected them at a *low* volume).
    My question is whether anyone has had experience replacing blown drivers, and whether there were any hassles replacing them, and if there was any sound quality degradation? Thanks guys,
    Cheers,
    Mike
    P.S. The remote is staying firmly on the coffee table from now on! Lucky I didn't have all 5 speakers on, would have been bombarded by dustcaps- and an almighty repair bill [​IMG] .

2. Mike_T_

Mike_T_ Stunt Coordinator

It depends on the dealer/company. I have the Studio 100's from Paradigm and blew a woofer because of low wpc and high volume. It was essentially my fault, but because I have a 5 year warranty, I just took out the woofer and they sent it back to paragigm when my replacement came in a few days. No questions, no charge. You're not supposed to have that covered if it's caused by abuse. No other drivers were damaged so it could have been defective. Regardless, I have noticed absolutely no difference in the sound since replacing it...you also have to remember that it needs to be broken in like the other drivers have already been.

3. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

I recently replaced a tweeter in a 22 year old Polk Audio speaker with a Peerless tweeter that looks suspiciously like the Polk one. I can't tell any difference.