Any change for new movie of Jack Ryan?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Parinya, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Parinya

Parinya Extra

Manny books of Clancy not yet on film.What do you think would be next?
    Just hope Rainbow Six on screen also....

2. James T

James T Screenwriter

I thought Red Rabbit was suppose to be the new one. But they may have changed their minds after Sum of All Fears. It may have made a lot of money, but I guess it wasn't what Paramount was expecting....something like Daredeil. It made a lot of money, but the producers are kinda iffy on a sequel. And not to mention Affleck's falling star. They're most likely gonna recast him.

3. Dave_Brown

Dave_Brown Supporting Actor

I've always felt Without Remorse would make a great choice for putting on the big screen. Wouldn't need Jack Ryan's character, but the action and storyline would be pretty cool.

4. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

Rainbow Six was supposed to have been in the works YEARS ago. I don't know what ever happened. If they do happen to do another Jack Ryan movie, they'd better recast the lead. The Sum of All Fears was the worst yet, thanks largely to Affleck. He couldn't mime his way out of a box.

5. Ben Osborne

Ben Osborne Second Unit

I don't like Affleck, but I don't think he's the main problem with the Sum of All Fears. The whole production just seems cheaper than the previous movies. All those battle scenes shown from inside the war room, for instance, make it look like an HBO original movie. The on-location sets of Clear and Present Danger and Patriot Games are so much more effective. You've also got to love how the Sum of All Fears pretends the other Jack Ryan movies never happened. Ironically, it's the one Jack Ryan movie that most fans would like to pretend never happened.

In any case, the problems go far beyond the lead actor. If I could choose between having Phillip Noyce direct the next movie with Affleck starring, or having Phil Alden Robinson direct with Harrison Ford playing Ryan again, I would choose the former. Ideally, we will get both Noyce and Ford, but that seems pretty unlikely.

6. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Actually, ideally, we'd get McTiernan and Baldwin.

7. Chris Will

Chris Will Supporting Actor

Chris WIlliams

This would be my first choice as well. Red October is still my fav of the Ryan movies. I love Ford but always considered Baldwin to be the best Ryan.

8. David Rogers

David Rogers Supporting Actor

Except for Red October, the Ryan movies have been a joke. Butcheries of the character and the settings; and I was dumb enough to go see SoaF after having sworn off C&PD and PG . Never again. Until they make a Ryan movie and leave it alone, and actually shoot the book, never again.

9. DavidPla

DavidPla Cinematographer

10. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Producer
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    I agree that Alec Baldwin did the best job with the role.

Here's my problem with Harrison Ford: he's iconic. He's Han Solo, Rick Deckard, Indiana Jones, etc., etc. I can't help but look at the screen and see that I'm watching Harrison Ford. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it didn't help any of the Jack Ryan movies he was in. Alec Baldwin, on the other hand, didn't carry all of the baggage with him, so it was a lot easier for me to get into the movie and take the ride because I didn't feel like I was watching a movie star.

It's okay if whoever plays Jack Ryan next (if there is ever another movie) is a known actor; I just don't think he should be someone of superstar, iconic status.

11. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    I kind of wish they had kept Alec Baldwin as Jack Ryan. I have seen things i liked Affleck in, but Sum of All Fears was not one of them. Maybe he should stick to Kevin Smith movies? Baldwin is a little old, and maybe a little heavy to play Jack Ryan now, but in the 80s i loved almost everything he did.