1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Any chance the Playstation 3 will have SACD support?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Rob Gardiner, Jul 9, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

I play as many formats as possible on my HTPC: video games CD, DVD, DVD-Audio. But I can't play SACD without buying a separate unit.

If Sony were smart, they would add SACD support to every piece of CD-compatible hardware they produce. But they have made many not-so-smart decisions over the years. [​IMG]

Is there any possibility the PS3 will include SACD support? If so, I would be able to play (A) games not available for the PC (or which are crippled on the PC) and (B) SACDs which I otherwise have no means to play. I can more easily justify the expense of extra hardware if it can play 2 formats rather than one.

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

If they want to expand their user base for the format they should do it. Remember there are rumors there will be 2 versions of the PS2: a straight gaming console and a set top box-type system.

As an aside they have also developed a 3-laser wavelength mechanism.

[​IMG]

Big problem would be having 5.1 outputs unless they create a proprietary digital link or analog dongle.

3. Marc Bax

Marc Bax Second Unit

SACD hmm maybe, I would say probably not. The current rumor is that it'll support Blu-Ray playback (one of the 2 HD-DVD formats) now that would be something.