What's new

Any chance the Playstation 3 will have SACD support? (1 Viewer)

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
I play as many formats as possible on my HTPC: video games CD, DVD, DVD-Audio. But I can't play SACD without buying a separate unit.

If Sony were smart, they would add SACD support to every piece of CD-compatible hardware they produce. But they have made many not-so-smart decisions over the years. :)

Is there any possibility the PS3 will include SACD support? If so, I would be able to play (A) games not available for the PC (or which are crippled on the PC) and (B) SACDs which I otherwise have no means to play. I can more easily justify the expense of extra hardware if it can play 2 formats rather than one.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
If they want to expand their user base for the format they should do it. Remember there are rumors there will be 2 versions of the PS2: a straight gaming console and a set top box-type system.

As an aside they have also developed a 3-laser wavelength mechanism.

Big problem would be having 5.1 outputs unless they create a proprietary digital link or analog dongle.

Marc Bax

Second Unit
SACD hmm maybe, I would say probably not. The current rumor is that it'll support Blu-Ray playback (one of the 2 HD-DVD formats) now that would be something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
runemesa
Recent bookmarks