Any chance of UK TV show Brass Eye on DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gregory Pauswinski, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski Supporting Actor

I was over in the UK last December and a friend showed me a few episodes of the hilarious satire show Brass Eye. I just got a DVD player that will play PAL DVDs and I really want to get this series. Has anyone heard anything?

Thanks!

Gregory

2. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

3. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

God, Brass Eye is such genius. Originally it ran in 1997 and only last year were it's makers granted permission to run it again. Due to the delay of it even being alowed re-runs it never hit home video, though I am hoping the new situation will change this and we'll see it soon.

I continue to hope the other Chris Morris helmed spoof show The Day Today (which ran on BBC2) will someday hit DVD as well.

Dan

4. Gregory Pauswinski

Yesterday I discovered a bunch of mp3's of a radio show Chris Morris had on http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/ They're hilarious! [​IMG]
    Dan, what was The Day Today like?
    Gregory

5. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

The Day Today was a work of genius. Somewhat like Morris later did with Brass Eye, The Day Today (which ran on BBC2 back in 93 or 94) was again a spoof news programme but co-writing and perfoming with Morris were the likes of Steve Coogan, Peter Baynam, Armando Ianucci, David Schnieder and Partick Marber (who also formed the talents behind the hilarious 'Knowing Me Knowing you with Alan Partridge' and 'I'm Alan Partridge' BBC series that would later follow Day Today).
    The Day Today covered such news items as the IRA using dogs as new kinds of bombs, a murderer being executed by the re-animated animatronic body of his victim, John Major and the Queen having a fight and more fictional incidents of utter hilarity. The outbreak of world war 3 is also covered. [​IMG]
    The Day Today started out on BBC Radio 4, titled 'On the Hour'. Much of what came to be in that continued on into the TV version. On the Hour is due to be re-issued on CD this July!
    Knowing how you like British comedy, Gregory, do you know of a little British sitcom called Spaced? I'm wondering if this would appeal as both series 1 & 2 are out on DVD here now (and are both really nicely done discs). Spaced is on the surface the average plot of two flatmates and their friends. Each episode is basically one love letter to various movies, songs, cartoons, TV shows and comic books after another. I'm very fond of it.
    Dan

6. Gregory Pauswinski

Humm. I have not heard of Spaced, but I will definitely look into it. Dan, You're right about my being a big fan of british comedy. I guess it started by growing up watching Benny Hill, but I have also enjoyed Blackadder, Mr. Bean, Red Dwarf, Young Ones, and Jeeves & Wooster among others. My first two PAL DVDs, which should be arriving any day now, are Lock, Stock TV and Best of Louie Theroux's Weird Weekends. [​IMG]
    Gregory

7. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

8. Gregory Pauswinski

Last night I went over to amazon.co.uk and read the reviews/summaries of Spaced and I'm going to be getting those DVDs soon.
    I saw one episode of League of Gentlemen about a year ago when all these people were raving about it and I absolutely hated it. Maybe it was just a really bad episode.
    Father Ted is another I've heard good things about, but just haven't had time to watch yet. I think the BBC America channel does play it, so I'll just have to start watching.
    Hummm.. This thread has degenerated into a personal discussion. I guess we should probably continue in Private Messages huh? [​IMG]
    To put this thread back on topic, I've been really enjoying the Chris Morris radio show MP3s and I managed to find the Brass Eye pedophile episode on the web.
    Gregory

9. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

The British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) have just passed a Brass Eye "DVD Title sequences (widescreen)"... Only entry so far, 1m 44 seconds the total on the menu sequences clock in at.

THE DVD COMETH!

Dan

10. Gregory Pauswinski

I can hardly wait!!!

Gregory

11. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

BBFC have now rated the Brass Eye episodes themselves. 'Crime,' 'Science,' 'Decline,' & 'Animals' have all be rated 15, whilst 'Sex' 'Drugs' and the '2001 Special' have been rated 18.
    All have been passed uncut.
    A further search at the BBFC's website on 'Brass Eye' reveals BRASS EYE - EXTRA FOOTAGE FOR DVD. A total of 4mins and 10 seconds worth of footage which it lists as being inserted into numerous episodes:
    00:00:13:15 | SPECIAL 10
    00:00:25:22 | SPECIAL 24
    00:00:31:18 | SCIENCE 30
    00:01:22:08 | EXTENDED ELEPHANT
    00:01:36:12 | HIPPO INTERVIEW
    Dan