What's new

Any chance of TCM-HD in the near future? (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I see DirecTV has finally added TCM-HD to their lineup. I know there have been some issues with these upconverted presentations being in the wrong OAR at times. However, I'm still looking forward to watching more of this channel.

Crawdaddy

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
^^^haven't seen any deviations from OAR on TCM-HD via DirecTV, but everything I've seen so far has been an upconvert.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I've enjoyed TCM-HD, but some stuff has been shown windowboxed like Rollerball
and some stuff not in it's OAR like I Saw What You Did.
Either way, I still watch and enjoy the channel in HD.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
there has never been any actual hd aired on this channel as far as i can gather. everything is upconvert

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I'm curious how people are able to tell something is an upconvert vs. actual HD.
I realize with a lot of TCM's library, only SD content is available. But there are also a lot of movies where HD content is available. I've seen several movies where it sure looked like real HD.
As far as presentation, here in Chicago, the UVerse TCM-HD, when showing a 16x9 content will often have a small window-box. I assume this is done for those that may have overscan, similar to how several Blu-Rays do this for the opening titles. Its still the correct OAR, just slightly smaller all the way around.
Unfortunately, over the past year, there have been a few MAR presentations, but those have been commented on in other threads.
David

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Journey to the Center of the Earth is 1.77:1 on TCMHD right now. What's next? Commercials?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
RolandL said:
Journey to the Center of the Earth is 1.77:1 on TCMHD right now. What's next? Commercials?
Unless you're being sarcastic this doesn't make any sense.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
TonyD said:
Unless you're being sarcastic this doesn't make any sense.
AMC use to show movies in OAR and no commercials. Then, they added commercials. Now they also do not show movies in OAR, they fill the 16 by 9 screen instead.
I'm seeing TCM starting to not show some movies in OAR. Journey should be 2.35:1. Instead its 1.77:1 on TCM. Are they going to follow AMC and add commercials later?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Ok now I understand. I didn't know what the oar was. I only have TCM sd but I've heard that the hd channel has shown incorrect ar's.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
RolandL said:
TCM SD and HD look the same except HD is upconverted.
Not here on Cox cable. Cox added it to our lineup several months back (don't know when, I just came across it by accident one day surfing the upper channels). Some movies/programming my be SD sourced and upconverted (looks fuzzy up close), but some movies are in true HD. Just depends on the material.

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
Same here in the Old Dominion. Cox cable has TCM-HD. Very nice to see so many films in HD. Some are up converted but many are HD. yesterday they were running a marathon of Elvis movies all in HD. And they're supposed to broadcast Lawrence of Arabia restored in HD in the fall.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Everything on TCM- HD is an upconvert. Some might look very good but there is no real hd content sent through from that channel.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by TonyD /t/269544/any-chance-of-tcm-hd-in-the-near-future/30#post_3963914
Everything on TCM- HD is an upconvert. Some might look very good but there is no real hd content sent through from that channel.
Correct, when that changes, TCM will most likely make a formal annoucement to celebrate their HD broadcasting achievement.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
TonyD said:
What is the source for this information? I've seen several people say this, but I haven't seen anything official. And is this source recent?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Same place that offers info on what IS broadcast in HD.
If they were broadcasting anything in HD you would find a notice on their site, as of now, there is none.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
TCM is all unconverted.
More talk here.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1152849/turner-classic-movies-tcm-in-hdtv

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Robert Crawford said:
Correct, when that changes, TCM will most likely make a formal annoucement to celebrate their HD broadcasting achievement.
So, we are basing this statement that all of TCM-HD is upconverted specifically on the lack of a formal announcement? And referencing a forum where someone has re-quoted the statement of of someone who repeated the statement of someone who made the original statement possibly three years ago?
Do we have any current facts that TCM-HD is still upconverting every single broadcast? Something or someone official that specifically states that there are no HD broadcast or that everything is upconverted (and omission of stating something is in HD is not proof that it isn't)
David.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Since you don't believe anyone then what's the point of the discussion?
TCM makes no mention of any hd broadcasts anywhere, on there site or elsewhere.
It's not HD, you can believe what you want. No one here will try to mislead you.
The other thi g is that no one is saying it doesn't look good. It does look good because upconverted material ota can look good.
"Something or someone official that specifically states that there are no HD broadcast or that everything is upconverted"
The problem there is that no one official will say anything. I believe if there was hd being broadcast they would gladly say it to anyone who asks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks