What's new

Any chance of seeing "young indiana jones" on dvd? (1 Viewer)

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
"Any chance of this?" "Any chance of that?" Come on Todd, you know there's always a chance someone will win the lottery and fund it themself. :) Sign me up.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
This has been brought up in a thread in the HTF Studio Feedback section. The question about the tv series was posted AFTER Paramount VP Martin Blythe definitively stated something to the effect of "no Indy on DVD this year" (paraphrase; I'm not gonna go find the original quote or the thread it's in; I'm pooped).

I have to assume that this means the tv series as well as the trilogy of films...

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
If it's anything like the VHS, I would not be suprised at season boxes of Young Indy at the same time as the movies

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
The Young Indy shows have been supposedly 'fixed' so that there are 22 - 2hr shows. Thus the trilogy would be numbered 23, 24 & 25.

Glenn

TheoGB

Screenwriter
It was a great series. Shame it probably wasn't shot on widescreen. It would cool to have extra stuff to look forwards to. :)
In fact they could probably release the 2hr version of Phantom Train of Doom and I'd be happy enough!!

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
bumping up because of the article on dvdfile. I just hope they don't jip us by pulling a star trek original series (only one or two episodes a disc, and each disc at 20$ each), I'd much rather buy these in season sets. I also hope they release all of these, I never saw any but the teenage Indy released on vhs (being 11 when this series aired, I prefered the 12 yo Indy). Since I watched this show near religiously when younger I'm very anxious to get it on dvd.
http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-...002/10_24.html
Adam

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Holy crap! I finally might get those 3 or 4 episodes that never aired and that I could never find when they made them into movies. Let's just hope we don't have to wait too long.
**UPDATE**
I just went to the video business article dvdfile quotes. He said it could take 3 to 4 years to do the documentaries he wants to put with the show. 3 to 4 years!!!! :eek:

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
As excited as I want to be about this announcement, I can't help thinking that George Lucas will exercise his revisionist muscle and drop the bookends with Old Indy, as was the case with the VHS tapes from a couple of years back.

Say what you will about Paramount's release strategy with Star Trek:TOS (a belabored point that has been addressed by Paramount themselves and since rectified with the release strategy of TNG and, presumably, all forthcoming Trek TV product), they did right by this series. For example, in the case of "City on the Edge of Forever," Paramount actually restored some original music that had been replaced for syndication. That's how much they care about their product.

However, Young Indy is the property of Lucasfilm Ltd. leaving Paramount's hands tied in this case. We all know how George likes to change things. If Paramount actually owned this series, rather than merely being the distributor, we would probably see the original, uncut episodes. Alas, this will probably not happen. Unless George changes his mind yet again.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It's nice to know that these are finally moving closer to the front-burner at LucasFilm, especially since this is the sort of thing Lucas was talking about waaaay back when the series first aired (I think he said something like "high-capacity CD-ROM" instead of DVD, of course).

I just hope they don't jip us by pulling a star trek original series (only one or two episodes a disc, and each disc at 20$ each), I'd much rather buy these in season sets.
If any show merits a TOS-like release, though, it's Young Indy - Lucas plans (and has always planned) to include a lot of supplemental material, and because of the way Young Indy was shot (on location all around the world, using local crews), it might make more sense to treat episodes as seperate releases.

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
Didn't in the full Indiana Jones VHS Series, Temple of Doom come before Raiders Of The Lost Ark? I seem to remember that they numbered them that way.... Am I correct?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Since not everyone will be able to see the article, and since this is only a portion of the article (the rest of it involves other subjects, like what Rick's favorite DVDs are and more on his comments about piracy, etc.):

VB: What is the latest word on Indiana Jones 4, and will you be involved in all the DVD versions of those movies and the TV shows?

McCallum: I think [Indiana Jones 4] will be 2005. We're going ahead with the Young Indiana Jones DVDs; we are so committed to those. Even though the series wasn't a major hit here, it was a huge hit in the rest of the world. It's such a great opportunity, because what we're going to try to do is produce historical documentaries about each of the historical characters. It's a way of giving it to a school and saying, "Look, we know how hard it is to teach children. Try and use this as a tool. Let them see something that is fun for them and easy for them to watch." Hopefully, they can pick something that they can start to learn and watch another documentaries about the person and start to see them in the historical time.

We're having really great, great speakers talk about the time, what it means to fall in love--one episode featured Indiana learning how to make love with Mata Hari, slowly. And, you know, what it's like to be a spy, what it was like to be a woman at that time, what does it mean to make love and how does that affect social and historical issues.

It will probably take three or four years to get it done. We're hiring some really great documentary filmmakers.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
nearly a year later and the Bits Rumor mill
we have official confirmation from Lucasfilm's Jim Ward, via the Indy DVD event we attended on Saturday, that The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles TV series is currently in production for DVD release. There's no street date yet, but late 2004 is certainly possible.
:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks