Any chance of seeing Mario 64 updated on the cube?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Youssef, Nov 19, 2001.

1. Youssef

Youssef Stunt Coordinator

I am really addicted to this game. its one of the if not the funnest game i played in a longggg time. So with that being said why wouldn't nintendo want to re-release an upgrade of Mario 64 with improved graphics and add extra things in the game (maybe more players to choose from)for the GC? Since most people won't even purchase a N64 in a few more months, why not bring some of the most successful games over to the GC? They could even sell it for $29.95 or $19.95 since it is the same game with improved graphics and some extras added in. Hey it could keep us busy til the New Mario comes out sometime in late summer.

2. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    I'd like to see it. Too bad there wasn't a Mario title at launch (I'm not buying Luigi).

I still haven't finished Mario 100%. I guess I should someday. I'm very close to it.

Mario, Rogue Squadron, and Zelda-Ocarina are the only reasons I'm keeping my N64.

Mike

3. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed with Nintendo for not bringing out Mario Sunshine with the Gamecube.

Mario 64 was my all-time favorite game. When I got the N64, I was in awe with the gameplay & graphics of Mario 64. No other game has given me that much satisfaction since.

Although, I'm having grand fun with SSX Tricky on the PS2. But my hopes for another Mario-like game were squashed with Rayman 2 the Revolution. This game was mediocre at best.

Once Miyamoto brings out Mario Sunshine, I'll get myself a Cube.

4. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Smart, smart move Mike. I deeply regret selling my N64 with all of the games to subsidize my PS2. For the longest while this year, as my PS2 sat and collected dust, I wistfully recalled the glory days of just flicking on Mario 64 for an hour of relaxation and fun.

5. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor

Mario64 was the best launch title in videogame history.

I was shocked when I heard they weren't launching with a Mario title.

The good news is, Mario Sunshine is looking to be a title worthy of the Mario name.

I'll buy a cube when that finally comes out (although I'm a huge Wave Race, that game came out a week after Mario on the 64).

It is sad that Nintendo only released a single Mario adventure game during the N64 life cycle and no Metroid.

I'm not a huge Zelda fan and how many Pokeman games did they make?

I would be happy if they upgraded some of Mario64 graphics and released that. I would buy it in a second.

Doug

6. Pete_S

Pete_S Stunt Coordinator

Shoot, I still don't understand why Nintendo has never released any "Best of" compilations for their consoles (with the exception of Mario All-Stars for SNES). I'd gladly pay for a disc filled with classic Nintendo titles like Mario Bros., Metroid, Zelda, Donkey Kong, and so on. Wouldn't even need to upgrade the graphics... It's not as if these older games are bringing them any money just sitting there in a vault, and surely it would help alleviate Nintendo's ongoing ROM problem to have these games for sale at reasonable prices...

7. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Releasing a bunch of games would be pointless for them. First of all, its a buncha separate companies and they wouldn't make much money. They might as well just make the games with better graphics and release them separately.

I doubt we'll see a Mario 64 port until we see Nintendo's next handheld. They seem to like releasing Mario games on each handheld, upgrading to the next one each time.

8. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

9. Youssef

Youssef Stunt Coordinator

HOLLY SHIZNIT DAN HOW THE HELL DID U GET ZELDA TO LOOK THAT FREAKIN GOOD???? I DONT KNOW SHIT FROM SHAMPOO WHEN IT COMES 2 ROMS SO PLEASE ELABORATE AND POINT ME IN THE DIRECTION I NEED 2 GO SO I CAN DO THE SAME WITH MY COMPUTER. THANKS A MILLION.

10. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Its called Emulation. Copying ROMs for it is illegal, so we can't discuss it further right here. I'm sure you're clever enough to work a search engine however, where you'll find the information you need.

I have to say though that I prefer using the real thing, as Mario doesn't seem quite right on anything other than the proper controller. Its also worth noticing in those screenshots how the emulators can't get the fog working, so Goldeneye in particular is artificially easy.

11. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

If anyone is to be pointed in the right direction it will indeed be asked that they be pointed in PRIVATE and not openly here on the forum.

Emulation discussion can continue to an extent, but we can't have any links or tales of what to get what is needed in public.

I love my N64, fished it out a while ago and played it. I had fished it out ready to sell, but played it and it all came flooding back and it's just something I couldn't bring myself to sell.

Mario Sunshine looks to be a lot like Mario 64 from the VERY early impressions. I have no doubt Miyamoto is working in 101 new tweaks and innovative enhancements to the gameplay. Should be great!

Dan (UK)

12. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    I recently retired my N64 to the attic, and I was looking for this very item last night. I only have so many video inputs on my system so the N64 had to go to favor the GameCube. I loved playing Zelda and was even thinking about running through the game again getting ALL the Skulltulas and heart pieces, but I really can't without yanking wires whenever I want to use the N64.

Copying ROMs is not illegal so long as you own the ROMs. Distributing them to people who don't own them is illegal.

Emulation helps people like me that want to use the older games now and then, but My God how do you handle an Atari 800, Atari 2600, Atari ST, Super Nintendo, and N64? I don't have the spece, inputs, or power strip outlets to handle all them, and it's not worth the trouble if you want to play the Atari 2600 version of Combat now and then.

Mike

13. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Mike, the whole area is a fudging minefield legally. Without any test cases before a court, we don't know for certain exactly what is legal here. Its pretty certain to say that ripping your own ROMs is ok, although I wouldn't be surprised if there is small-print against reverse-engineering somewhere in the manual. There is, however, good grounds to believe that getting a ripped ROM may illegal even if you do own the cart. Also, since there is no way of making a thread only visible to individual cart owners its generally a lot less hassle to just say don't talk about it here. Check the thread in Forum Feedback from last time this came up.

14. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

You can MAKE your own copy of something you own, but you can't OBTAIN it unless its from the company who made the original product.

15. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd