Any chance of S.F.W. on DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jeremy Anderson, Nov 27, 2002.

1. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

Was listening to the soundtrack for the movie S.F.W. and realized that the movie hasn't made its way to DVD yet. Anyone know if this is planned or not? I'd love to have this movie!

2. Paul W

Paul W Second Unit

Edit: Ooops. Hard to image a movie actually titled "S.F.W."

3. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

San Franciscan Women?
    Southern Fried Whitefish?
    Smokin' Female Wanted?
    Smelly Fish Wrappers?
    [​IMG]
    Jon

4. Bill McCamy

Bill McCamy Second Unit

Sluts Finding Wisdom?

Syrup Fixes Waffles?

Stuart Fondles Wynona?

Storms Flood Wisconsin?

5. Jonathan Kaye

Jonathan Kaye Second Unit

Small Fat Walrus?

6. Todd Phillips

Todd Phillips Second Unit

Star Freaking Wars?
    Most likely it's this movie: S.F.W.

7. Leif Wall

Leif Wall Second Unit

So Fucking What!

I love this movie. Reese Witherspoon is great in it. I doubt we'll see it anytime soon.

8. Jeremy Anderson

I loved S.F.W., and I'd love to see it on DVD... but if all these people above didn't even know about it, I guess the chances are pretty slim that we'll ever see it. I just hoped they'd put it out to further capitalize on Reese Witherspoon's popularity.

9. Jeremy Anderson

I just wanted to follow up my own post. S.F.W. was released to DVD this past Tuesday! It's a barebones disc, but SO FUCKING WHAT! The transfer is anamorphic and looks better than I've ever seen the movie. The audio is in Dolby 2.0, but was surprisingly enveloping when using Dolby Pro-Logic II. There were even a few instances of voices coming from the surrounds that seemed almost like discrete 5.1.

As a parody of how the media fabricates celebrities, the movie is almost more relevant today than it was when it came out. Plus, you get to see some performances by people who are now fairly well known, including Stephen Dorff, Reese Witherspoon, Jake Busey, and Joey Lauren Adams. But here's something I never realized -- one of the two kids at the bus stop who gives Spab a joint is played by none other than a very young Tobey Maguire!

I want to give a big thanks to MGM for putting this movie out on a damned good-looking DVD, considering. But I do have one question for MGM -- How can you put S.F.W. out in anamorphic widescreen, and then totally screw up Remo Williams by making it pan-and-scan? Of the two, Remo Williams has had far more support from the fans. Not that I'm looking a gift horse in the mouth, because I'm damn glad to finally have S.F.W. in glorious widescreen... but it does seem kinda' odd.