Any chance of HD programming for Olympics?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob McElfresh, Nov 7, 2001.

1. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Can I go to my SO and say: "Look Honey, they are going to broadcast the winter Olympics in HD..." as a justification to start shopping for a HD set and a Dish 6000 receiver?

2. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

HDNET is suppose to broadcast winter olympic events in HD.

3. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

HDNET is? I get the feeling from their commercials that they are going to be broadcasting Olympic SPORTS events, not the actual Olympics. I'd love to be wrong. [​IMG]

4. Andy L

Andy L Stunt Coordinator

Actually, I think that HDNet is broadcasting Olympic qualifying events, not the actual Olympics. With the bundle that NBC shelled out for that package, I don't think we'll be seeing coverage on any other channel.
    I don't think that NBC has made a statement either way on covering the Olympics in HD. Based on their history, I would be surprised if they pull it off but we can always hope.
    You'd better find another excuse to start shopping!

5. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

The Olympics on NBC again. BARF!!! I don't care if they're HD or in black & white and mono sound. They do a lousy job every... single... time.
    ABC was the KING baby when they had the rights. "The Thrill of Victory. The Agony of Defeat." Those were the days!
    Dan
    ------------------
    Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!