Any chance of a Thelma Todd Collection? Her shorts with Zasu Pitts and Patsy Kelly?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Tory, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory
    I had hoped for a 100th birthday celebration but with July 29th nearing and no news, it looks like it is not to be. Am I the only one wanting to see these on DVD? That's like 37 shorts and then throw in some of her appearances in shorts with Laurel & Hardy, Charley Chase, and some films like Take the Stand, Cockeyed Cavaliers, Cheating Blondes, Klondike, The Devil's Brother and we would finally have a good view of that Hot Toddy's work. Who owns what? I imagine the shorts are mostly rotting in Hallmark Hell, but I don't know for sure, are any PD? Who owns the rights to all these films?

2. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    I believe that the Devil's Brother is owned by Warners which has indicated that a L&H collection (of the material they control) is on their radar.

As for the Hallmark owned material, I'd be shocked if anyone in their home video division even knew who Thelma Todd was (or worse, even cared). It's a shame they appear unwilling to license material out. A Todd collection would be most welcome in the hands of Kino, Milestone, or another one of the botique labels.

Steve

3. LaurenceGarvey

LaurenceGarvey Second Unit

Oh, man, would this be great. A few of her shorts are available, on THE LOST FILMS OF LAUREL & HARDY series and on the German L&H discs. Sadly, THE PIP FROM PITTSBURG with Charley Chase isn't one of 'em. And of course, don't forget her stint with the Marx Bros. in MONKEY BUSINESS and HORSE FEATHERS, which are on DVD, too.

4. Bert Greene

Bert Greene Supporting Actor

I'd grab a Todd/Pitts collection, a Charlie Chase collection, and a Boy Friends collection, the moment they appeared. The Taxi Boys might be a harder sell. But, as mentioned, considering the treatment Laurel & Hardy have received, these are the wildest of pipe dreams.

Actually, I have an oddball collectible from the Todd/Pitts series. It's a typed (and hand-corrected), in-house, secretarial write-up from the Hal Roach Studios, of info designed to be put into one of the short's press-sheets.