What's new

Any chance of a "mobile" version of the Forum? (1 Viewer)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Our family is about average for "connectedness" (1 iPad 2, 2 iPod Touches, 3 Android phones, 2 desktop PCs and 1 laptop) on a wireless G network. When I'm out of the house and away from the office, I do like to check the HTF from time to time, but it's really hard to read on my Android phone (will eventually be getting an unlocked iPhone 4S). I know that many forums either have a version optimized for mobile or are connectable through an iOS app. Is there anyone looking into either of these possibilities for the HTF?

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
As a technical matter, the forum is on Tapatalk. As a practical matter, it does not work. I have discussed this with DaveF in one of the support threads, and on both Android and iOS, the forum eventually stops loading and only an uninstall/reinstall gets it running again. After doing this four times, I gave up. I would love to use Tapatalk for HTF, but some bugs have to be worked out.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
It's a mystery why it works for some users and not others. I'm able to browse, post, etc. with no problems.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Kinda odd poll, if you ask me.

Actually, I used to find access via Bitstream Bolt to be acceptable enough on my BB -- in some small ways actually slightly better than on some desktops -- but my Bolt installation has gone wonky and stopped working in recent months ever since I installed a Facebook client app, and RIM's own browser sucks too much to bother using here.

_Man_

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
For me, I have to wipe TAT and reinstall. That gives me a day or two of use. Then I can't post. Then I can't load message threads. Then I can't even load forums. Then it won't even connect to HTF at all.

Since I use TAT for other forums, it became onerous to uninstall/reinstall and set up each forum again. Each time I thought I had solved the problem, but each time it stopped working after a few days. So I don't bother with it for HTF.

For some reason, I can view the forum on my phone, but replying is dodgy (I have to change the Source to HTML, but I lose formatting and sometimes the button never loads). But on my ASUS tablet, the form works flawlessly, even though I'm using the same browser. It might be a user agent related issue.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I finally gave Opera Mini another try now that Bitstream apparently killed their Bolt browser (as a free app/service anyway), which was why it stopped working for me. Last time I tried OM was probably pre-v5.0 (or was it pre-v4.0?), IIRC, but v6.5 seems much better now and fairly comparable to the last version of Bolt (though I think Bolt was still a tad better at handling certain things like javascript).

Anyhoo, OM v6.5 for BB seems to make HTF moderately useable for me on my BB Tour once again. Not great, but certainly useable, and probably also loads a bit faster (like Bolt) over 3G than on desktop via basic DSL in most instances just because it (like Bolt) ignores a bunch of crap here...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks