Any chance in submitting a software change to Echostar?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay H, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Has anybody had a shot in submitting a request for a software change to Echostar? I have a 501 PVR and when the unit is off, the digital out is still active, I can still see the red light at the end of the optical cable when the unit is "off" Now the unit is never truly off but goes into a standby mode, however, there is no point in having the digital out still active when the unit is in standby. This affects me because I have one toslink input and that is shared with my X-box of which a coax digital output is not available yet so I have a splitter. However when the x-box is on, the fact that the digital output on the 501 is still active confuses my DD processor until I disconnect it. I'd love to get Echostar to change this but was wondering if I have a shot in hell of them listening... Anybody try this before?

Jay

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    They monitor DBS Forums and even had the forum owner on a tech talk. With all of the bug reports there, they have not done a single thing, especially with the Dishplayer. There was even a Dishplayer beta tester that posted about Dishnetwork ignoring known bugs. He was removed from the beta program.
    -Robert

3. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

The Dishplayer problems cannot be fixed by Echostar. They were programmed by Microsoft, who refuses to hand over source code to Echostar, and refuses to honor their contract by fixing the bugs themselves. That's why Dishplayers are no longer made and E* came out with the 501.
    Sorry, there's no great conspiracy on Echostar's part to "hide the truth" or "ignore the bugs". It's a software deal that went sour and Microsoft has no impetus to help Dishplayer owners and is just petty enough not to give E* the necessary tools to either.
    As for DBSForum's moderator, if you're refering to Dan Collins, it's unlikely he'll ever be asked back to Echostar's Tech Chat. The guy uses his forum to regularly trash E*, start personal rants against Charlie himself, and even decided to become a mouthpiece for the NAB recently by "tattling" on E* to the FCC over alleged violations of SHIVA (there are no violations, as any equipment needed for local station reception is being given and installed freely by E*, of course Dan didn't even wait until Jan 1st to "tattle", he just somehow predicted [wrongly] that E* would violate the law).
    -Lyle J.P.

4. Charles L.

Charles L. Agent

Dishnetwork constantly changes their software. They make those changes from listening to customers like you. Try tuning in to Charlie Chat sometime.
    Charlie Chat E-Mail.......... Dishchat@echostar.com
    Charlie Chat, to ask a question live.... 1-800562-9405

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    It was my opinion that they weren't doing enough to fix the Dishplayer bugs. Even if it was Microsoft doing the coding, E* should have pressured them to fix something. I would have switched to the 501 but it seemed to have it's own problems and it was developed in house. I've switched to a DirecTivo and don't mind paying the Tivo fee to get quality code. The few bugs I've read about over at the Tivo Community don't seem to be a big deal and I've never been hit with one.
    Again, these are my opinions.
    -Robert

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    On second thought, somehow I noticed last night that my digital output on the 501 was off, whereas the first time, it was on. I wonder if the unit physically turns on when it downloads the 7-day guide in the background? Perhaps when I connected it last time, it was in the process of dl'ing the guide or updating the software? In any case, my X-box was working fine with both toslink cables attached to the splitter...

Anyway, I have seen a bunch of E* bashing on dbsforums.com, however, I do not have an account there. I am maybe in the silent community of people who are happy with their 501 at least with the major points of it. I wish the guide was done a lot better, the titles should be more descriptive and there should be a search function. Rather than saying bicycle racing, they should state road, mountain, cyclecross, BMX, Motosport, etc. Same thing with their auto racing stuff. And a couple of other things I'd like to see but I don't seem to have the major problems like alot of these vocal people on dbsforums.com do. I record stuff on a weekly timer and I also do once-only recordings and they work fine. I've only had 2 times where I had to do a soft-reset since July which is acceptable to me and the picture quality is great on my puny 20" TV set.

Jay