Any chance for Haunting of Julia on DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Larry Talbot, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

Those of us who like our supernatural/horror films with at least a hint of intelligence and/or style have had a tough time over the last few years (remake of The Haunting anyone?) so I find myself wishing that some of the older, and far superior spook flicks would make it to DVD.
    One of my favorites is the Haunting of Julia. If you haven't seen it, I think it's one of the best ghost stories ever made, with a truly creepy ending and many memorable scenes. It also features BELIEVABLE charachters who don't spout one liners and act like obnoxious 20-something film students the entire time. Unfortunately, as far as I know it only exists on VHS, with very poor picture quality (on some of the darker scenes, it is almost impossible to tell what is going on).
    With so much junk being rushed to disc, why not an excellent film like this? Has anyone else seen this? Anyone know if it will ever come out on DVD?

2. Blake Comeaux

Blake Comeaux Stunt Coordinator

It's funny that you posted this seeing as I just finished reading the novel "Julia" by Peter Straub on which the film is based last night. I also wrote Anchor Bay requesting the title because one of the companies that put "The Haunting of Julia" out on VHS had also issued versions of "The Hills Have Eyes" and "Fear in the Night", two titles that AB have released on DVD. This film needs a video release in its proper 2.35:1 aspect ratio. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

3. Claude North

Claude North Second Unit

I would definitely purchase a DVD of THE HAUNTING OF JULIA!

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall reading something about a longer "director's cut" of the film. If it does exist, then I would love to see THAT version released on DVD.

4. Larry Talbot

Larry Talbot Second Unit

Blake, I think I might write Anchor Bay too. I'm convinced that if more people actually saw this film, it might get the reputation it deserves...There are so few really good scary movies out there.
    Claude, I never heard of a director's cut (re-released in the theaters? On VHS?) but I would love to have one as well, although the original version seemed close to perfect to me...That scene where Mia Farrow visits the old lady in the mental institution, and the old lady says she's not scared because she's already "all safe and dead...all safe and dead..." always gives me the chills.

5. Bill McA

Bill McA Producer

Great movie and one of my favorite supernatural/ghost story films, not to mention a terrifically moody Colin Townes score (got the CD!)

Hopefully any future DVD release will be issued under the original theatrical title Full Circle, rather than the 80s re-release title.

Incidently, those dark scenes have always been super-dark on every print that I've seen of this film. [​IMG]

6. Claude North

Claude North Second Unit

Larry,

What I recall hearing was that there were some last-minute cuts made to the film by the studio or distributor. Of course, I could be wrong about this and thinking of another film, as this is not an uncommon occurrence... [​IMG]