What's new

Any chance for Bushwhacked (1995)? (1 Viewer)

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Once upon a time, Bushwhacked was my favorite movie. For at least a few years starting with its theatrical release. Absolutely loved it. I know it’s not a beloved classic, but I think it’s worthy of a decent release. Apparently the old DVD was pan and scan only, and as far as I’m aware it hasn’t seen a release in its OAR since the LaserDisc. If Fox doesn’t want to release a blu-ray, I’d settle to buying it digitally on Vudu or any of those things. I would just love to see this movie again with a decent presentation.

I haven’t thought about this movie for a while, but my wife and I have started watching The Handmaid’s Tale and it features Gordy’s mom from Bushwhacked as Aunt Lydia, and it got me thinking of this movie again. :cool:

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I haven't seen this movie since my step-father rented it from Blockbuster back in the 1990's. 20th Century Fox made it, but I doubt neither themselves or Disney would release this particular title. A company such as Kino or Olive would mostly be the ones to release it.

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
Apparently the old DVD was pan and scan only, and as far as I’m aware it hasn’t seen a release in its OAR since the LaserDisc.

The original DVD had both letterbox and pan-and-scan versions, though a later reprint was just P&S. However, the original theatrical version has never been available on any format outside of VHS and LaserDisc. Apparently, Fox decided to resell it as a family film and had it censored in order to get a PG rating (it was originally PG-13). Hopefully, Fox didn't make those changes to the original negatives.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
The original DVD had both letterbox and pan-and-scan versions, though a later reprint was just P&S. However, the original theatrical version has never been available on any format outside of VHS and LaserDisc. Apparently, Fox decided to resell it as a family film and had it censored in order to get a PG rating (it was originally PG-13). Hopefully, Fox didn't make those changes to the original negatives.
I got a big up my ass recently, and sought out a used DVD on eBay. Luckily I got a copy that had the anamorphic widescreen. I have read over the years about it having been re-edited and re-rated PG when it was put under the Fox “Family” banner, and this DVD has that banner on the top and a PG rating on the back.

But here’s the thing; this DVD seems to be the original PG-13 version that was shown in theaters. Now I know people would probably jump to the “you’re probably not remembering it right, it was a long time ago” argument. But as I saw this movie in theaters, rented it multiple times on VHS, and eventually owned the PG-13 VHS when it finally was released priced-to-own under the Fox “Selections” banner (movies back then sometimes took forever to be available to buy even if it was available to rent the tape), I feel certain this “PG” DVD is the same as it’s always been. It has all the “naughty” bits that gave it the PG-13, so I’m curious how Fox got away with re-branding it without actually censoring anything.

But regardless, I’m glad to have this copy. The anamorphic widescreen looks pretty decent for a DVD, but I’d still go for an HD release, either digital on Vudu or a blu-ray.

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
This DVD seems to be the original PG-13 version that was shown in theaters. Now I know people would probably jump to the “you’re probably not remembering it right, it was a long time ago” argument. But as I saw this movie in theaters, rented it multiple times on VHS, and eventually owned the PG-13 VHS when it finally was released priced-to-own under the Fox “Selections” banner (movies back then sometimes took forever to be available to buy even if it was available to rent the tape), I feel certain this “PG” DVD is the same as it’s always been. It has all the “naughty” bits that gave it the PG-13, so I’m curious how Fox got away with re-branding it without actually censoring anything.
Funny. There was an edited version submitted to the MPAA and it got a PG. Guess Fox put out the PG-13 version on DVD by mistake.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Funny. There was an edited version submitted to the MPAA and it got a PG. Guess Fox put out the PG-13 version on DVD by mistake.
Another thought I had, and this is just a theory of mine, perhaps it DID originally get a PG rating but Fox wanted to pass it off as an “edgier” movie and asked the MPAA if they could use the PG-13 rating anyways. As far as PG-13 goes it’s quite tame; VERY little bad language (including an almost-F-bomb), urinating off a cliff onto people below, and a scene with Barbie dolls being used to explain the birds and the bees. If it came out just a few years earlier this would EASILY pass as PG.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks