What's new

Any carpenters / home builders here? (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i agree with glenn. i think it may be worthwhile to have an *independent* inspector take a look at the house.

of course the builder is going to defend the work. and maybe they're being legit, but it would be hard to tell if he was being honest or not.

getting an independent view may cost you a few bucks, but the peace of mind you'll get (one way or the other) is INVALUABLE!

you certainly don't want to go into this new home with "what-if" syndrome.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
Even if the wall is not load bearing, bad studs can easily cause the walls and sheetrock work to look bad when done. Make sure you make them understand that you will expect the walls to be straight with good workmanship and if they leave things now that cause problems later, you will expect them to make it right, no matter the cost. Definitely put this stuff in writing.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Thanks for the tips everyone. I really can't do much at this point other than document everything that *I* think it wrong. I will hire my own inspector when the framing is done and go over everything that I think is a problem and have him go out and do an independent inspection.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
It just doesn't get any better! Here are some more pics. You might find these amusing.

Look at this lovely beam, cut for absolutely no reason, and then cracked basically in two after it was nailed in place:

[url=http://runespyder.smugmug.com/photos/10931217-M.jpg]http://runespyder.smugmug.com/photos/10931217-M.jpg[/url]
[url=http://runespyder.smugmug.com/photos/10931218-M.jpg]http://runespyder.smugmug.com/photos/10931218-M.jpg[/url]

Isn't that LOVELY?!

Here is another one that is cracked all the way through. It doesn't show well in the picture, but you can see daylight through it.

[url=http://runespyder.smugmug.com/photos/10931220-M.jpg]http://runespyder.smugmug.com/photos/10931220-M.jpg[/url]

Quality work, through and through.

[url=http://runespyder.smugmug.com/photos/10931221-M.jpg]http://runespyder.smugmug.com/photos/10931221-M.jpg[/url]

And of course there is more, but I need to take more pictures this weekend.

Now I am getting the story "Wait until it's done. A lot of this stuff will be fixed after the framers are done." BULLSHIT. HOW DO YOU FIX THAT BEAM AFTER YOU PUT THE SECOND STORY ON IT!?!!!?

I am going to go ballistic on Monday.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I can't believe that I'm actually laughing when I see these!

I have the answer for the first one. They cut it in two because it was too heavy. They'll cover it up with a 1" x ? (whatever width that is) or use one of those steel plates that they have out now. Actually, I think that will make it legal, but I'm no expert.

Try and find someone real fast that can walk you through it before Monday, and if you're into it, do the Arlo Guthrie bit from 'Alice's Restaurant' and get good and drunk the night before. You need to be there on Monday morning with an attitude - or two.

Best of luck

Glenn

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Shawn, I would seriously suggest talking to a lawyer and threatening to stop all payments on the property until these problems are fixed. You are getting the runaround, these issues won't be fixed, and you will not be getting a discount for a piece of crap house. You are correct, they can't fix a beam when another floor and a roof are on top of them.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
quote:They cut it in two because it was too heavy

Well, that would be funny if they had actually cut it in half. But it's not, it's cut down about 3/4 of the way through.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
1. Keep clear documentation of all the problems as well as the conversations you have with the builder.

2. You MUST get an inspection from your local building inspector to gauge how much of it he/she believes is unacceptable. You need a recognized expert to back up your assessment of the work should this end up in court.

3. Talk with a lawyer. Discuss what the builder was contractually obligated to provide in terms of wood species and grade as well as whether item 4 below is a good idea. Also review if you have any contract language concerning execution of work.

4. Consider telling the builder you will take all of your documentation to the local media. Bad press is lost future business.

If the builder thinks that framing is acceptable then you should stop payment. Pathetic work.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
quote:4. Consider telling the builder you will take all of your documentation to the local media. Bad press is lost future business.
that's a good idea. most local networks have some kind of "consumer watch" segment.

i bet they would be more scared of bad press then you threatening to sue them.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
I would definitely call the local building department and talk to the inspector to give him/her a heads up about what to expect before they come out.

Also, as I mentioned before, go ahead and send the contractor a letter with delivery confirmation talking about these issues and tell them up front that you expect all issues to be fixed completely, no matter the cost.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
Well, that goes without saying.

I guess I should have said, "no matter what it costs them"

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor
The only problem with an ultimatum to the builder here in Seattle is that there are currently many more buyers than there are houses to buy (especially new ones). I doubt that you will intimidate them because if you walk away, they can finish the house and would have no problem selling it. Your best bet is to pressure them using the inspectors and potentially bad publicity. Of course, if you want to walk away altogether, it would probably be pretty easy.

It's definitely a sellers market around here.

shaniceMW

Stunt Coordinator
read your contract carefully.

also, do you have a pre-drywall inspection? the builder that we are using has a pre-construction, pre-drywall, pre-fixtures inspections, etc... hopefully everything will work out for you.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Yes, there is a framing inspection that has to happen. I am sending them weekly updates with all of the problems that I see. My wife and I have decided to play it somewhat cool for now. We are letting them "complete" the framing but are still documenting all of the problems we find along the way.

According to our contract, we need to be diligent in keeping track of the problems in order to give them a chance to fix them.

I am going up there every Sat. to take pictures of what I see. I am checking the city's inspection schedule online to see when my house is getting inspected next. I might drop in unexpectedly with some documents and pictures.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
my builder is to start my home here in the next 2 weeks, definitely keep us updated.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Well, things are looking up! My constant complaining has paid off. They had a supervisor come by on Friday to mark everything that needed to be replaced. He went around and marked "replace or fix" on anything that needed to be fixed.

Most of my concerns were either addressed or an explanation was given for the work. My wife and I are now happy with the progress that is being made. Most of the framing is now done. The roof is up, but without any materials on it. I have to say that after our complaning, there were very few problems on the top two floors.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Shawn, That is great news! :)

What I've found with certain trades over the past few years is as follows:

1) Most of the good people have left the field in exchange for more professional positions.

2) The builder may have agreed to a bid for framing the house to a contractor. However, the contractor may have sub-contracted the work out to another firm - who may have hired on lots of very cheap, but unskilled labor.

I realize these are not excuses that can be used for shoddy work. However, I can pretty much see the quality of work going down as each year goes by. If this is the case, how bad will things be in 10 years or so? I know I won't care to buy one of those houses.

After a slowdown in the tech industry, I found myself taking on some quality jobs for homeowners who need work done. I could easily make it a fulltime job following builders around and fixing their screwups because the homeowners no longer have a house under warranty and also the homeowners are frustrated with the level of work that is being performed.

In one scenario earlier this year, the builder sent back some tile contractors to fix a shower for a client of mine. The tile work was completed, but the tile people were not allowed to apply caulking to the shower because the builder felt their rates for such a task were too high. So, the homeowner waited another two weeks for another person to arrive to caulk the shower so it could be used. Well, the tile repairs lasted about 2 months (if that) and I was contacted to do the repairs properly. I used the right grout and right caulking to fix the issues for the homeowner.

Best of luck in the rest of the construction process. I'm sure after this stressful situation, you won't be too excited about going through this process for your next home.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks