Any "Captain Ron" DVD reviews?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Brandon Allen, Aug 30, 2002.

1. Brandon Allen

Captain Ron comes out on September 3rd, and is completely "bare bones"...but I would like to know how the transfer is like. Amazing, but true... its in widescreen, and I have only seen it in pan an scan on video, so I'm looking forward to a bigger picture, or should I say - "all of the picture". Any early comments yet?

2. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley Second Unit

I had pre-ordered it with DeepDiscountDVD but haven't got an email saying it shipped yet, so maybe there is a hold up in shipping?
    Mr. Destiny also comes out on Sept 3rd and I received an email saying it shipped, so it will arrive around the 3rd, so I wonder why that one and not Captain Ron?
    ....Incentives are a good thing! Learned that in Re-hab!
    [​IMG]
    G2

3. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Nice to see some CAPTAIN RON fans here! Wife can't stand the movie and that makes me love it just that much more! [​IMG]

4. Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin Supporting Actor

Count me in...I've pre-ordered this one for a measley $9.99 CAD at Future Shop.

"Careful, boss. There's guerrillas in these woods."

5. Gregory E

Gregory E Second Unit

6. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

As an FYI to folks, I wouldn't expect too many reviews of Ron or the other Disney issues from the same line. They declined my requests for screeners and apparently won't send out any movies they deem as "VHS upgrades". SEs like Pulp Fiction or Disney animation still come to us, but apparently they don't see the point of generating publicity for bare-bones titles like this...

7. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

The fact I can pick up this little gem for about half the price of some of the other Disney fodder makes me smile in appreciation for Disney's ignorance. At least they are releasing CAPTAIN RON in the first place. Where the hell is SHOOT TO KILL?!

8. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I'll be picking this up at the store for sure on the 3rd[​IMG]
    "They'll get out of the way, they always do. Learned that driving the Saratoga."

9. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

Count me in, this show cracks me up. I didn't even realise it was coming out. Thanks for the info.

10. Frank Sadler

Frank Sadler Agent

absolutely amazing movie.

I love it to bits.

11. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

It's anamorphic widescreen, and it is shipping. My copy shipped Friday from DVD Empire. It was only $6.99. A must-buy for fans of this underrated comedy!

I also picked up another "guilty pleasure", Cabin Boy (also in anamorphic widescreen).

Both titles are $6.99 at DVD Empire. I'd be surprised if the major B&M chains have more than a handful (or any at all) on shelves Tuesday.

12. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Found a copy of CAPTAIN RON this afternoon, hidden behind copies of Captain What's-His-Name Mandolin. Decent transfer, good enough DD surround, and a treasure trove of one-liners for me to torment my wife with for a few good weeks! [​IMG]

13. Wyatt_Y

Wyatt_Y Stunt Coordinator

Yep, had to order Captain Ron - for $6.99 couldn't pass it up! Another 9/3 release: Spaced Invaders at $6.99 too!
    Wyatt

14. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    CAPTAIN RON is a movie my whole family loves to watch! I was afraid that it would get the shaft on DVD with a pan and scan treatment. I'm glad to hear that's not the case! We will definitely be picking this one up!

15. Gregory E

Gregory E Second Unit

Got the DVD today and thought it was great. I mean, it's totally barebones.....but the video and audio quality is better than I expected. I'm quite happy I now have Captain Ron on DVD.
    Now....Get me another beer swab!!!! [​IMG]

16. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

Can't seem to find this title anywhere on the shelves over here. Damn....Futureshop has this title listed for $7.99 CDN....now that's a deal! Too bad they haven't received any copies today.

17. Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin Supporting Actor

18. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Picked it up at Best Buy at lunch time for $6.99. Had a party tonight with a bunch of people who all thought it was a blast.

"Shit happens, fork it over!"

19. John Bryant

John Bryant Second Unit

Got it today at BB for $6.99. They actually had tons of copies, but sadly no Cabin Boy. Oh well, maybe next week.

20. Steve Enemark

Steve Enemark Second Unit

"You want a beer, you get your own beer"