Any Canadians Planning to Get the Outlaw 950 ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean D, Dec 4, 2001.

1. Sean D

Sean D Stunt Coordinator

Hi Folks,

Just wondering if there are any Canadians planning to get the 950 when it comes out or are you going to stay clear because of the exchange rate? If you are are going to steer clear what are your other options in the same price range?

2. Sean D

Sean D Stunt Coordinator

I'm running a Marantz sr-7000 with an Anthem MCA5. I'm hoping that the 950 will sound just as good or better than the Marantz. I will more than likely go for the 950 as soon as it comes out.

3. Serge Breton

Serge Breton Supporting Actor

i'm in! [​IMG]

4. Johnny Lerner

Hi 'Maplehead Friends'

Why would the exchange rate have anything to do with things except as an absolute reflection of the wealth of Canadians etc.?

Everything else on the market is going to be subject to the same exchange rate and if there was a super 'Made in Canada' product it would be cleaning up in the US anyhow as there is no duty.

Somehow the fact that both country's currencies are called dollars and there has sometimes been parity - and even the CD at times has been more expensive than the USD - deceives people into not just boiling things back to what something costs related to their own budget.

So in the end the question is more - are Canadians able to afford a pre-pro like the Outlaw - and then that becomes a silly question to me because there are 31 million Canadians and whatever the exchange rate it is a prosperous country. So in the end I think the exchange rate itself is rather irrelevant.

?

5. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

You need to come live here for a while :p

I'd aggree with you if our salaries and taxes were closer to that in the US. But in a lot of areas the salaries for the same work are the same number. The problem is the Canadian number only buys 60% of what the US number does.

The only good thing is that a lot of things are a lot cheaper up here, which allows us to live like we have the same kind of wealth. This also allows US residents to order stuff from up here at a great savings given how weak our dollar is right now.

However, for us, ordering a 950 would work out something like this. $899 USD + $50 USD shipping goes to $1530 CDN. Add sales tax (for me 13%) and it gets to $1730. Finally for good measure add the brokerage fee and I'm up to $1800 CDN.

Depending on where you are in the states you may get a 950 for what, $930 USD total? Given what I said about salaries up here, is it still looking like we shouldn't be concerned with the exchange rate?

None the less, given what's out there for alternatives, the 950 still looks to be the best value for a Canadian too. Just a better value for US residents.

6. Vishwa Somayaji

Vishwa Somayaji Stunt Coordinator

I am also thinking about it seriously. I am just not sure it will happen in December. There may be some additional delays. I have been holding off my purchase because of this. Let us see.

7. Johnny Lerner

DB

I think we are really discussing viewpoints on evaluating national economics rather than the Outlaw.

I was trying to say that the question really goes back to the 'wealth' of the economy rather than the numbers associated with currencies. I was trying to bring out that a lot of the deception comes from them both being named 'dollars' - and that over the last 30 years they've moved up and down against each other significantly. The result is that one feels poorer or richer perhaps more by focusing on the exchange rate.

The focus should be on hours worked to get xxx. And as you say a lot of products and services are - for their own reason - 'cheaper' north of the border - or south of the border if you live in Detroit.

It all comes down to your final statements about what products are available at what price with what performance and I'm thinking the 950 is going to be a winner even in Macedonia.

8. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

I think the problem with the exchange rate is it puts imported USA products into a differant category than they would be in the states. For the same price as the Outlaw pre/pro you can get a Denon 3802 as an example.

While the outlaw products offer a big bang for the buck in the states its not the case for us Canadians. After shipping, exchange and taxes they are still good performers but no longer a bargain. The same goes for SVS subs.

9. Sebastien David

Sebastien David Second Unit

quite simply put, our salaries don't vary as fast as the exchange rate, nor do the prices of "made in USA" or any other country for that matter.

therefore, the recent downturn of the CAN$ meant that the Outlaw receivers went up in price instantly for us, whereas the prices of other receivers availabe in canadian stores generally didn't go up, nordid our salaries, because there hasn't been enough time for the market to adjust.

makes sense?

10. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

If Denon would just wise up and put the multiple crossovers of the 4802 on the 3802 then I'd definately be going for the 3802 followed by a power amp, instead of trying to save for the 950 and a power amp [​IMG]

11. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

Dustin,

Not too familiar with the price of the 4802. But wouldnt it be cheaper than buying a pre/pro and pwr amp after you add in all the extra costs ( cables, exchange rates,shipping, taxes etc..)?

Or why not buy the 3802 and add an external sub controller such as paradigm x20 ? This would give you the flexible crossover freq you desire?

12. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I'd like the flexible crossover on all channels. I'm not aware of an easy way to do that with an external crossover.

The lowest prices for the 3802 and 4802 on price scan differ by $1000.

I suppose a 4802 and an Anthem MCA3 Series II would be pretty close to a Outlaw 950 and an Anthem MCA5 in cost. Then I'd also have amps for the the center surrounds if I ever got a place that had room for them. I could also then just start with the 4802 and add the MCA3 later.

Guess it really depends on how good of a deal could be had with a 4802 and the MCA3. I'm thinking it would still be $400-$800 more to go with the 4802 MCA3 vs the 950 MCA5. The biggest trade would be 2 excellent channels of amplification for 4 good channels of amplification. The next would be the wait time to be able to get both the 950 and MCA5 at the same time.