Any canadian HDTV subscribers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John-Miles, Aug 8, 2002.

1. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Specifically getting it through Starchoice, or rogers, or bell expressvu ?

I was wondering how much content you get and if tis worth it.

Please if you have one of these services id love ot hear your opinion.

2. Felipe S

Felipe S Stunt Coordinator

I would also like to know this...
    (and how much it costs...)

3. rougehiller

rougehiller Extra

I've reading many informative posts on this @ Digital Home Canada Forums . There are specific forums for HDTV, Digital Cable, StarChoice, ExpreesVU.

4. Peter Hunt

Peter Hunt Stunt Coordinator

Thanks rougehiller,

Been looking into the HD market myself.

5. rougehiller

rougehiller Extra

You're welcome, Peter.
    I too am looking to get HD from Rogers and would also like to give OTA a try now that Buffalo stations are starting one by one. First, I have to get my new TV though [​IMG] .

6. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

I had Star Choice HD from day one up 'till December when I switched to Rogers. I've been completely happy with the service (still working on a signal strength issue though). Even when a program isn't on in HD, it still looks much better on the HD channels, so we tend to stick to those for the vast majority of viewing. If you're in a Rogers HD area, I can't see why you'd choose anything else.

7. Karim Nogas

Karim Nogas Stunt Coordinator

I have had ExpressVu since February. The receiver cost about $1000, programming varies ($50+/month).

Worth it? The novelty has worn off in all honesty, but that probably has more to do with the lack of programming. The occasional HDTV movie is something to see if you've never seen HDTV.

I still watch much more DVD.

8. Kevin Roebuck

Hi,

To those intersted, the best discussion is in the chat forum

area at KUSAT.COM. Click on the KuSat symbol and click on

"online discussion forums" in green at the bottom right.

All kinds of Canadian info about programing etc.

KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

9. Massimo N

Massimo N Stunt Coordinator

I have Rogers HD (through digital cable). With Rogers I get 6 HD channels (feed through Detroit) ...
    HD Preview (a 24hr demo)
    HD NBC
    HD ABC
    HD CBS
    HD FOX
    HD PBS (Detroit)
    2 HD Payperview Channels (shop HD movies)
    The content is definitely limited. Even though programming is broadcast throughout the day, only select programming is shown in HD. FOX only shows programming in 480p which they called "Enhanced Resolution..."
    The PBS channel has the most HD programming and IMO the best quality. Last month ABC was showing all of the Bond movies in HD [​IMG]
    The only complaint is that I do get a few audio drop outs.
    Pricing for the Rogers (I'm close to Toronto) is just $19.99/month for the digital terminal rental. The HD programming is currently free. All you need is basic cable to use the digital terminal. I also noticed that Rogers is offering the HD digital terminals for $599 (Canadian) if your are not a subcriber and $499 (Canadian)if your are.
    With Rogers you only need a very small investment ($20/month) to get into HD. It is definitely worth a look.
    If you do get HD Rogers get the HD3100 box ... it's MUCH better than the HD2100.
    Cheers!
    Mass

10. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

So those are all separate channels? Cause I looked into it here in Newfoundland, and they told me you only get one channel where they put all of their programming. this bothers me because as the programming increases there is no gurantee that the content i get through rogers will increase... i guess im just going to ahve to wait and see.

11. Elliott Willschick

Elliott Willschick Second Unit

Massimo,

With HD movies, are the in 5.1 as well? I have been holding outo n Rogers because I barely watch tv. If they had HD movies then that would be a different story.

Thanks

12. Massimo N

Massimo N Stunt Coordinator

With Rogers Cable (I'm in Kitchener, Ontario) they are all separate channels. They have a HD movie network wich I don't subsribe and 2 separate pay per view channels. Normally they will run the same movie for a few weeks. For the movies I bought they were in DD5.1.

The regular HD channels, when broadcasting HD material will sometimes broadcast in dd5.1. The James Bond Maraton they HD NBC (?? or is it HD ABC ... Channel 281) is in DD5.1. The Scientic Atlantic 3100HD box only has the digital coaxial connection.

Cheers!
    Mass

13. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

John-Miles, the offering in Ontario is currently different from the offering in the Maritimes, unfortunately. TMN movies are not currently in 5.1 but Rogers is working on it.