Any bugs in the Toshiba 65HDX82

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris-C, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Chris-C

Chris-C Stunt Coordinator

Hi Gang;

Anyone got one of these sets yet?

Don't know if they've shipped yet.

Thought I heard a buzz about them not powering up after install??

Any help appreciated,or review's.

CC Rider

2. Jason Kass

Jason Kass Agent

Cris,
    I doubt you will find too many people with problems yet because-NO ONE CAN GET THEM YET!!!
    I have called EVERYWHERE looking for one, called Toshiba to see if they had started shipping and they said "yes", but I have no clue to where. I just ordered mine sight unseen from 6ave.com so when they get them they will ship one right out to me (possibly next week)...I am so excited I think I pissed myself.
    I have just been setting up my HT and now have the sound taken care of so when I watch a movie it is phenominal, but on a damn 20 inch tv.....just waiting.
    Jason

3. Andrew B

Andrew B Agent

Well I had my Toshiba 65HDX82 for about a week, then returned it for a refund [​IMG] Why do you ask? Because the speakers hissed at any volume level, there was ghosting, the geomonotry was poor, and the blacks had a bit of a green tinge. I consider myself lucky, quite a few people have gotten these sets only to have the TV stop working, or not work at all. The hissing seams to be the most widespread problem, followed by not working and ghosting... If you want anymore input on this TV drop me a line.
    Andrew B

4. Jason Kass

Jason Kass Agent

Did you try to calibrate with an Avia disk, it sound like a poor out of the box tv, just some tweeking issues, don't know about the speakers though. I wont even use mine.
    As to the reference to "quite a few people have gotten these sets only to have the tv stop working, or not work at all"...The Canadian market must take precidence over the US market because it is VERY difficult to find anyplace (local or even authorized internet dealers)
    How many people do you actually know that has had one? Most go for the 57 inch.
    Jason

5. Levesque

Levesque Supporting Actor

I got the 65HDX82 since 3 days, and I don't have any prob. No hissing, black is black,and no ghosting. I even done a in-house comparison with the Sony KP65WV700(I had both for 3 hours), and the Tosh is a keeper! Don't always believe what people say on the net... I bought mine with 2 other friends (group buy) and the problem Andrew is listing are not present on the 3 sets. I'm sorry Andrew, maybe you were not lucky[​IMG] But I think this Tosh bashing is a non-sense, and people just report what they hear on other forum. My dealer, that is one of my friend, sold 5 65HDX82 this week, and was really aware of this forum bashing. He was really scared...for nothing. The 5 sets work perfectly.
    The set is awesome out of the box. An the ISF calibration scheduled in 3 months will probably put it better!!
    Have a nice day. [​IMG]

6. Andrew B

Andrew B Agent

I did calabrate it with the Sound and Vision calibration DVD, it helped minimize the problems, but they still persisted. I do know that my TV was one of the very first ones to be sold, so it could be a bad initial batch. The problems were pretty bad, the hissing from the speakers could be easily heard 20 feet away. Ghosting was nasty, there was a line to the right of any object, mostly noticable on text or calabration pattrens. Watching any animation was totally unbarable. The geomentry was a mess (the top right was about 1.5" higher than the left, among other spots), this I could have fixed myself if I had the set longer. I probally could have also fixed the not so great blacks with an ISF calabration. I did like the set for a lot of reasons, the colors and brightness were excellent. Cable TV looked much better than I thought it would. Dispite the ghosting deatail was great. Veiwing angle and the anti-glare screen were one of the better ones I have seen. If the TV did not have these problems I would have kept it without a second thought, even with its problems it still looked better than most RPTV's I have seen. If I could find one of these sets without any problems I might consider getting it, untill then I will play the waiting game.

Andrew