Any boxed SVS subs comparable to dual 22-31CS's?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Shawn Shultzaberger, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

My wife has been OK with the dual 22-31CS's I have now but we will be changing our living room around (a major undertaking) in a few months and the dual 22-31's with the new room config may not appeal to her. Basically they just aren't going to look good in the new living room where less is better.

So my question is: "Is there a new box SVS sub that would be comparable to the output of my dual 22-31CS's? Maybe a PB2-ISD or PB2-Plus?" I love the headroom I have now using two of them and enjoy how they seemlessly blend in with my Klipsch speakers.

My room is 4500 cu.ft., carpeted with suspended wood floor, ratio is HT 60% / Music %40.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. [​IMG]

(By the way, are there any charts or graphs comparing the output of the older 25-31CS to the new PB2-ISD or PB2-Plus?)

2. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

You made reference to the "older" 25-31CS. Are you implying your 22-31 CS' are equipped with the original 12" driver and not the Improved Standard Driver (ISD)?

At any rate, the PB2-ISD in the stock tune will have very comparable output and extension to a pair of current production co-located 25-31CS (using the ISD) or 25-31PCi.

If your cylinders are not co-located (i.e., opposite corners), an optimally placed PB2-ISD will probably have about 3 dB more maximum output. If your cylinders are equipped with the original driver (not the ISD), the advantage of the PB2-ISD will be about 5 dB.

Of course the PB2-ISD can be tuned to 20 Hz by plugging a port and adjusting the tune switch and will then have considerably deeper extension than the 25-31 (and even a bit better than a "22-31") and still retain comparable output.

That is a large room, and if you really want to pound, the PB2+ will exceed the PB2-ISD by about 2-3 dB in maximum output.

3. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Shawn:

I would recommend that you look at the new PB2-ISD too. Click here to read more about it.

With dual 12 inch ISD drivers and a 600 watt BASH amp it should give you the kind of performance that you are looking for that you are getting out of your current configuration.

If you want to put your present subs up for sale send me an email and I will put them up on the Used Subwoofer page.

Parker

4. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

Thanks for the replies. I believe the drivers are the newer ISD ones. There was a certain date (I don't remember what date) that if you ordered after it you would receive the newer driver. I believe I have the newer driver.

My CS's are co-located in the same corner so I am getting maximum output from them. I rarely ever see yellow on the LED's on the amp.

I was on the SVS website last night doing a lot of research. I think that instead of staying with a unit that will equal what I have, upgraditis says I need more. Therefore I will look into the PB2-Plus. I was told today that I will need to sell the subs I have now before I can purchase another. [​IMG]

What would one PB2-Plus equal in the CS series of subs?

5. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

A PB2+ will be equal to dual co-located 25-31PC+ (or passive CS+ with 500 watts to each) down to about 28 Hz.

Below 28 Hz, the cylinders will start to pull away from the PB2+ by virtue of their greater combined internal volume and port area.

6. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

What would one PB2-Plus equal in the CS series of subs?
    __________________________________________________ ____

The db 12 driver will have roughly about a 2-3 db advantage at 30 hz and above over the ISD. Under 30 hz the db driver will/should gain about a 4-5 db advantage over the ISD. Since one usually would realize a 6 db increase from going from a single to dual CS's located in the same corner.> I would think the answer would be around 3 1/4 CS and possibly a little more conservatively ..?

7. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

There isn't a single cylinder SVS sub capable of matching the PB2+, it's better than one Ultra, and close to two, I beleive mentioned in a forum in the past.

8. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

There isn't a single cylinder SVS sub capable of matching the PB2+.
    __________________________________________________ _______

If the PB2+ would have been a option when I happened upon SVS> I would be running two PB2+'s instead of getting ready for my fourth and final (ya sure) 25-31CS+. I just don't see how the PB2+ can be beat for the $$ unless of course SVS comes up with another offering. To me it's just a no brainier how incredible the PB2+ is considering cost to performance. I myself like both looks though and still will be very happy with four cylinders.

9. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Hi guys,

The PB-2 models are really tough to beat from a cost/performance standpoint at SVS. Part of the reason why we still have a 1-2 week waiting period on them is we have a tough time NOT recommending them when in email exchanges with someone shopping for a new subwoofer.

With almost 5000 cu-ft either of them (the PB-2isd or the PB-2+) will work very well...I'd probably lean toward the more potent PB-2+ if action oriented DVDs at louder volume levels were common though..[​IMG]

Tom V.
    SVS