any body run NHT L5s? other "on-wall" speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by kurtZoom, Jul 14, 2005.

1. kurtZoom

kurtZoom Stunt Coordinator

The "form over function" demon is haunting my basement finishing plans again. The wife wants me to look into "on-wall" speakers. NHT L5s evidently are matched to NHTs M5 and M6.

I was considering going with two L5s and a M5 for the center. The four rears would be NHT IC4s (did I mention the form over function demon?). Sub duties will most likely be a SVS PB12-ISD. Amp will either be a Denon 3805 or Yamaha's RX-V2500. TV will possibly be a 60" Sony LCD RP.

We plan to drive to Lawrence KS to Kiefs to check out the L5s this weekend.

Any thoughts or recommended subsitutions?

2. Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker Second Unit

I have some L5s in a complete NHT Evolution setup (T5s main, M5 center) in my main system. Sounds phenomenal. I initially had some NHT 8.3s (predecessor to ic4), and they sounded alright, but the back of my room is open to the rest of the basement, and I lost a lot of sound back there. I switched to the L5s for my surrounds, they really helped keep the sound in. This is somewhat relevant to your surrounds. The L5s do integrate nicely with my M5s though, and I think that is what you are asking, since you'll be using an M5 center. I'm not sure if I could tell the difference between the 2 (M5 vs. L5) if I were blindfolded.

3. kurtZoom

kurtZoom Stunt Coordinator

thanks Jon
    the wall behind my listening position is going to be about 10 feet back which is why I was thinking in ceiling speakers for the rear channels. I might consider an alternative mixing L5s on the side and in ceilings for the rear center