Any Bob Dylan remasters coming anytime soon?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Birchall, Nov 28, 2001.

1. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

I'm a fledgling Bob Dylan fan, only owning "The Essential Bob Dylan" 2-CD set which was released last year.
    Well, enough of that. Need more Dylan.
    So on Friday (payday, natch), I'm planning to pick up some more Dylan albums: Blonde on Blonde, Highway 61 Revisited, Blood on the Tracks, Bringing It All Back Home, Desire, and Time Out of Mind, along with maybe two others.
    Before I buy these, though, I want to know--are there any new Dylan remasters on the way for the forseeable future?
    It doesn't look like to me that they've done any remasters for Bob before, and I would figure that his albums would be ripe for remastering. Should I wait, or should I go ahead and splurge?
    Any advice on buying these (or any other Bob albums) would be greatly appreciated. . .
    Thanks,
    -mwb-

2. Jon Sheedy

Jon Sheedy Stunt Coordinator

Matt...if you're planning on a handful of Dylan, make sure and pick up Street-Legal. This title has been remastered and it sounds glorious..much better than the previous release. At the time of it's release in 1978 it received mostly lukewarm reviews, but opinion has turned much more favorable in the years since it's release...often mentioned as now as a forgetten masterpiece..and I agree!
    This was the first (and only, so far) title Columbia remastered. Others were to follow....don't know what the hold up is. There is such a huge improvement on Street-Legal remaster that I cannot wait to hear others get the treatment.
    Buy others now and sell 'em on Ebay once the remasters are announced.
    'you been down to the bottom with a bad man babe
    but now you're back where you belong'

....Bob Dylan 'Baby Stop Cryin'
    Jon

3. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

I believe these are the only titles to have been remastered so far:

Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits, Volume II

Street Legal

Biograph

Greatest Hits is unnecessary if you have all of the albums and Biograph, since Positively 4th Street is the only single not appearing on one of the albums (I think.) GH2 has some tracks that don't appear anywhere else.

4. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

Dylan remasters have been announced and cancelled on a regular basis for some time. I still have hope they'll appear some day, but I wouldn't deprive yourself of great (and cheap in most cases) music in the meantime.

In addition to the titles above, Blonde on Blonde was remastered for a gold disc version several years ago, and allegedly the new Super Bit Mapped master was quietly put on the standard issue some time after that. I didn't hear an enormous difference between the gold disc and the first release, though. (If you want to get really technical, there was initially a version released with a truncated "Sad Eyed Lady Of The Lowlands" on it that was then replaced with a full version, so the one I had before the gold disc was the second release. Whew...)

DCC released a gold disc of Highway 61 Revisited that sounds *miles* better than the Columbia disc. It's long out of print, but worth seeking out if you want the best version of that album.

Ryan

5. Brian Bunn

Brian Bunn Second Unit

Hey Matt--Check out http://www.jandrmusic.com
    They have some good prices on some Dylan CD's. Blonde on Blonde and Bringing It All Back Home are just $6.99. They have a 3-pack of Blonde On Blonde, Blood On The Tracks, and Time Out Of Mind for $24.99 ($8.33 per CD). Street Legal, The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, Infidels and Slow Train Coming, all excellent, are just $7.99. I think most of the others are $9.99 each. Don't know if you will find better prices on Dylan CD's elsewhere but you may want to shop around because they are often greatly discounted. I picked up a ton of Dylan CD's about a year ago at CDNow when most were around $5/6 each.
    J & R Music World, if you don't already know, is an excellent outfit. No worries there.
    I envy you...about to take the Dylan plunge! Soon you will be hooked and realize the undeniable truth...that Dylan is the most important musical act of the last 40 years.
    And by all means, pick up the Don't Look Back DVD. Everytime I watch it I sit through it mesmerized, just glued to it all the way through. An Incredible look into Dylan's early years on the road. Fantastic.

6. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

7. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Oh yes please! Lets have some more remasters! They are great for me; my dad is a huge Dylan fan, and while I also like him a fair bit I've never really bought that many of his albums, as I never really needed to (except a couple that I'm really keen on). However, every time a new remaster comes out, he buys it and I get the old disc - its a great cheap way to collect his stuff [​IMG] :b

8. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I wrote up a review for the DON'T LOOK BACK dvd (which I agree is fantastic). If you're interested, the review is here:
    http://207.136.67.23/film/Reviews/Do...Back-final.htm
    I've heard rumors that the next "Bootleg Series" release will be the complete Basement Tapes (which I've never been able to track down on my own).
    Speaking of, if anyone's got the complete basement tapes on CD-R (not the official release version), I've got some good Dylan boots ('65-'81) as well as tons of Grateful Dead, and a smattering of live Theloneous Monk, Miles Davis, and various contemporary folk/bluegrass stuff to trade...

9. Brian Bunn

Brian Bunn Second Unit

Very nice review, Al. I would love to see all 20+ hours of footage Pennebaker shot. Pennebaker should put out a "Don't Look Back" box set complete with all 20+ hours!

As you mention the commentary from Pennebaker and Neuwirth is also very enjoyable and informative.

Definitely a must buy for any Dylan fan...casual or hardcore.

10. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Brian, I assume you're aware of this, but if not:
    Criterion is releasing a 3-disc boxset of Pennebaker's MONTEREY POP in Summer 2002!!! Three discs, you ask? Well, here's the scoop: