Any boat owners out there?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jerry Almeida, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Jerry Almeida

Jerry Almeida Second Unit

Jerry Almeida
    My dad and I are looking into buying a boat. It's most likely going to be used, so I was wondering if I could get some tips on what we should look out for.

I was also wondering if anyone could recommend some good web sites to get this kind of information as well.

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Dont know any website, but if its gonna be used, the newer the better.

Check the hull for damage or work esp if its fiberglass.

Check the interior. Walk in it, and walk everywhere and every corner. If the floor is rotted, you will feel it to be soggy, or it may crack under your feet.

Lift the rear deck up, where the gas tank and battery go, check this also for rotted wood, or cracks.

Check the steerin, rust can lead to a very stiff wheel, and sometimes seized steering cables.

Always arrange to take the boat out for a test drive, you drive it.

Go at all speeds, and make turns. Also, turn the boat off and restart it yourself.

Check bilge pumps and live wells if it is a fishing boat.
    Also check all lights and switches.

Check trailer and lights. Check the trailering attachments where the boat is held on to the trailer. There is usually a hook for the tip and two on the rear.

Check to make sure they arent coming off or are cracked where they mount to the boat, common on fiberglass boats.

3. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

If you are spending any serious amount of money on the boat get an independent survey done on the boat. This is a two part thing, one in the water and one where it is out of the water. The out of the water part of it is far more important. The survey will look for signs of delamination, blisters (the two biggest things to look out for on a glass boat, and sometimes hard for people to see), along with everything else. If you are going to finance the boat the bank will probably insist on the survey.
    http://www.yachtsurvey.com/ has a lot of information on buying a boat in terms of things to look for, along with some boat reviews that came from doing survey's.
    Henry gave some good pointers as well, except for the age thing. Don't be afraid of an older boat. Just be sure to know what to look for, it's very similiar to houses. There are plenty of old houses that are much better built than today's houses....as well there are lots of new houses that are better than old. So age doesn't have a whole lot to do with it.
    Andrew