Any Blues fans out there that can suggest some "Must Have" DVD-A / SACD titles?

Discussion in 'Music' started by John Pine, Mar 4, 2004.

1. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    All I have so far is Stevie Ray Vaughn’s “Texas Flood”, Muddy Waters “Folk Singer” and Albert King w/SRV "In Session". Any other suggestions?

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    'Keb 'Mo 's 2 Sony releases, Terry Evans' PUTTIN' IT DOWN & MISSISSIPPI MAGIC, John Lee Hooker's BOOGIE CHILLIN', Junior Wells' COME ON IN THIS HOUSE, B.B. King REFLECTIONS, Mighty Sam McClain SOUL SURVIVOR, Jay McShann WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD, Eric Bibb JUST LIKE LOVE.... Those are all on SACD. I don't have any blues on DVD-A so far.

3. John Pine

John Pine
    Rachel, I've eyeballed the the J.L. Hooker's BOOGIE CHILLIN' at the store but just never picked it up. Thanks for the other suggestions as well!

4. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

What about Clapton and B.B. King's "Ridin' With The King"?

5. John Pine

John Pine
    I do have his "Live in Hyde Park" concert DVD which I like a lot. I'll check out the clips on Amazon. Thanks Shawn.

6. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

I really wish there was a better selection of hi-rez blues. Nothing against the blues releases so far, but most of them don't excite me much. I wish more classic titles could be released. If it can be done with jazz, why not blues. I don't mind Come On In This House, but if I'm in the mood for some Junior Wells, I'm more likely to put on Hoodoo Man Blues. I know we all complain alot about the dusty old recordings soming out on SACD, but I would some older blues titles.
    I don't have the SACD of Muddy Waters Folk Singer, but I do have the Mofi and it is a great album. It is worth picking up. Bob Margolin is re-doing Muddy's Bluesky recordings, so maybe we'll see some SACDs of those titles. Margolin's last album was apparently recorded with DSD, so he is familiar with it.
    I would like to get the John Lee Hooker disc, but I haven't seen it locally.
    I enjoy the Mighty Sam McClain Blues For The Soul SACD. It's not exactly blues, more of a blues/soul mix(check out the title), but it sounds great and the performance is pretty good. Have you compared it to Soul Survivor, Rachael? I've never heard Soul Survivor, and I might check it out.
    One SACD I love is Chris Whitley's Perfect Day. It was recorded live to two-track and sounds great. It has some blues tunes that are done with an acoustic trio, in a very minimal way. Another disc that isn't exactly 'blues', but worth checking out. You might want to listen to it first though, it's a bit different.

Regards
    KrisM

7. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Definitely you want Keb Mo The Door.

Be warned the Muddy Waters sonics are not real representative of what SACD offers - I think we have a poor mastering job here folks. Still it sounds okay.

There are a couple of Telarc blues discs I have that are superb but the titles escape now...I think Junior Wells is one of em.

One "almost-blues" disc is Beck Sea Changes that is a fantastic recording. While pop and modern in places, it a slow speed, guitar proficient effort that I think a Blues fan may enjoy.

Also, check out the Acoustic Sounds web site. They have a strong blues background and have done several major blues recordings, some of which are or will be in Super Audio.

[​IMG]

8. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

While mellow and reverential, Jorma Kaukonen's "Blue Country Heart" on SACD features some really nice pickin' with truly extraordinary sound quality. This isn't the country blues record you'd spin to convert someone to the choir, but in terms of excellent production of very good music, it's hard to beat.

I've got the MoFi CD of "Folk Singer" (which sounds great), but people tell me that the Classic Records DAD is the one to get (not the SACD).

9. Gary_W

Gary_W Auditioning

For Hi-Rez blues I would definitely list the Junior Wells as a must-buy. Sonics are impeccable, the surround mix is great and though it may not be Junior Well's best record, it is still a damn good one and a very fun listen. I can't imagine anyone being unhappy with this disc.

10. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Kris, I have both of those of those Mighty Sam McClain discs and I like SOUL SURVIVOR better so I recommended it. No telling which one you'd like better. SOUL SURVIVOR was one of my first Sack-Dee's about 4 years ago. I got the AudioQuest Blues sampler after hearing it at somebody else's house. Mighty Sam was my fav off it and I soon bought him. Those were my first two hybrid discs, which helped leed to my hostile attitude about Sony's Sack-Singles.

John maybe you should try the AudioQuest sampler???

11. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

Is the Audioquest sampler SACD?

Regards
    KrisM

12. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Kris, it may come both ways, country or western[​IMG] , I have it on a hybrid stereo SACD. It's proably been on garden variety CD, in all likelyhood??? I know the SACD was sold out for quite some time and they pressed more of 'em last year. Get the hybrid![​IMG] For an early disc proably from PCM tapes it sounds good. Best wishes!

13. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for it.

KrisM

14. DanielCo

DanielCo Stunt Coordinator

Ooops. Please delete this one.

15. John Pine

John Pine
    Thanks for all the great feedback guys & gals!

16. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

I found the John Lee Hooker SACD and I 2nd it as worth picking up. It's an old recording so don't expect the sonics of a Telarc disc, but it's Hooker and I think his music is to die for.
    I also noticed on the Hoffman forum that he is doing an SACD of Jimmy Reed - Live At Carnegie Hall. THAT's the stuff I'd like to see released on hi-rez. I love the Mofi of this title and according to Hoffman, some of the tracks were turned into fake stereo when they should have been mono. Sounds like the SACD should be an improvement and worth picking up. Obviously I can't comment on the sound quality, but the performance on this title is great.

Regards
    KrisM

17. George See

George See Second Unit

I have the Riding with the King DVD-A and I definitly enjoy it. I do wish there were more blues on DVD-A in general though.

18. John Pine

John Pine
    Kris and George thanks for the info!

19. DaveDickey

DaveDickey Stunt Coordinator

About two years ago I picked up Freddie King's "Texas Cannonball" on the Hi-Rez label. It came in a DVD-A jewel case, and indicates that it's 96/24 surround. I have not seen any other discs by this label, and I have not seen this "Texas Cannonball" release sold anywhere since. A mystery to me...but the recording sounds great. Freddie King is one of the most underrated blues artists,IMO. Dave

20. John Pine

John Pine
    Dave: I've heard the name Freddie King, but I've never bought anything by him. I'll have to give him a listen.