Any benefit in using PS Player on standard TV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John DeSantis, Dec 11, 2001.

1. John DeSantis

John DeSantis Stunt Coordinator

I'm lost with this Progressive Scan thing. I know it puts out more resolution but would a standard TV benefit? The Tosh SD 3750 seems to be on sale everywhere. It also has built in DD/DTS I don't need this as my receover has the decoders. Is there any difference between the Player decoding vs the Receiver? Also, what the heck is the 3:2 pulldown? Thanks.

2. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

I say no. The PS player can output a signal that refreshes all 480 scan lines each 1/60th sec., but a non-digital TV can't do the same, so there is no gain. Also, I think that most if not all PS players provide PS only with component video output, and non-digital TVs would not have such an input.

3. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    progressive signals from the DVD player can only be accepted by digital (HDTV) TVs. i believe you wont even get a picture if you have PS turned on on your DVD player with a "normal" TV. i still suggest getting a PS player to save you $$ for when HDTVs are very close in price to "normal" TVs, just select 'interlaced' output.