any benefit in adding a parasound 855?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jason celaya, May 23, 2002.

1. jason celaya

jason celaya Stunt Coordinator

I was curious as to would it make any difference to upgrade my current denon 3802 w/ a denon POA 5200 (125x2 front channels) to the 3802 w/ a parasound 855 (85x5)?

I am running 3 M&K 750s across the front (4ohm /88sens) and 2 m&k 550s (8ohm)in the back.

My systems sounds fine as is however I probably can sell the 2 ch denon for the same price as a parasound 855 (seems like a good idea to eliminate the reciever amp all together, which I only use 3 ch. now).

I hear alot how the 85 wpc on the parasound is very conservative, does any one have a actual test rating?

2. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

I have a Denon 4802 which is 120 wpc. When I added a parasound 855 (85wpc) I recalibrated my speaker levels using Avia and I actually had to turn down the channel volume settings on the receiver to get 75 dB. Go figure.

Ken

3. Jeff Aguilar

Jeff Aguilar Stunt Coordinator

Jeff
    Ken,

How much of a difference did you find going from the 4802 to the Parasound amp? Is is a warmer sound? Just curious.

Jeff Aguilar

4. JoelM

JoelM Stunt Coordinator

Ken did you have any luck with your parasound yet? I noticed a BIG difference when I hooked it up to my older speakers. When the Diva's come, in June, I will try to Bi-amp the mains and drive the center. Anyway it should be fun, until I find a Parasound2003 for the front mainstage and use the 855 for the 4 surrounds. I am happy with this purchase although it bums me out that you're not as happy [​IMG]

5. Aslam Imran

Aslam Imran Second Unit

6. jason celaya

jason celaya Stunt Coordinator

I know how impedance works with speakers but never with the amp stage...can you explain?

Ken, so you use the parasound amps instead of the 4802? Did you notice any difference in sound between the 2?

7. JoelM

JoelM Stunt Coordinator

The sensitivity is higher therefore the signal is cleaner and it requires less power to achieve the same level as a lower sensitivity. I really think Ken should Bi-amp his front mainstage to test his frontstage. At least you can send 170X2 to your mains and 85 to your center. Assuming of course your frontstage is 8 ohms and speakers bi-ampable. i went for a Parasound2802 to the 855 then after biamping the mains I went with the Parasound2003(200X3) for the fronts and used the 855(125x5 @ 4 ohm) for the surrounds.

8. JoelM

JoelM Stunt Coordinator

Parasound2802 I ment Denon2802

9. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

The difference in using the Parasound 855 and my Denon 4802 receiver to drive the front and center was subtle, but it was an improvement. Was it worth the added expense to get that subtle of an improvement? Some say yes, some say no. But I think I am getting to like having a separate power amp. It's my opinion, that it might be best to get a power amp after you have got all the equipment you think you need. A bigscreen TV will improve your HT much more than a power amp.

10. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

11. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

I bi-amped my front speakers, using four channels of my Parasound 855 power amp for the two fronts and the fifth channel for the center.

After listening to a few CDs I am very familiar with I would say the improvement is about 10 to 15 percent improvement. Which is respectable. The mids sound a bit better and the sound image is bigger. I suppose that is what people mean when the soundstage was improved. Not bad for only costing about $50 in cables.